- The McGowan Government's $9.5 million redevelopment of Kalamunda Hospital will enhance specialist palliative care services
- Works will help deliver high-quality, contemporary care services into the future
- Project scheduled to be completed by the end of the year
Capital works on the McGowan Government's $9.5 million redevelopment of the Kalamunda Hospital have now started.
The project will position the hospital as a centre of excellence in palliative care and improve the service for patients, their families and carers.
Nestled in the Perth Hills, Kalamunda Hospital provides high-quality and comprehensive medical, nursing and allied health care for patients facing a life-limiting illness.
The hospital has been an important part of the local community since 1973 and has recently become a specialist palliative care inpatient service.
Facilities include a family room with a lounge and a courtyard with a pond and fountain, where patients and their families can sit and relax.
The $9.5 million McGowan Government redevelopment will include:
- a refurbished wing to provide a new day hospice with fit-for-purpose therapy rooms, a dedicated entrance, waiting rooms and a social room, to provide social and therapeutic support for patients being cared for at home and also to offer the option of a day's respite for carers;
- upgraded rooms and ensuites in the inpatient unit;
- two rooms with facilities designed for bariatric patients;
- a redeveloped family room, for families to stay overnight, which also includes a hydrotherapy bath; and
- enhanced landscaping and improved access to the outdoor spaces.
The building works will be completed in a multi-stage approach to ensure Kalamunda Hospital can maintain a fully operational palliative care facility throughout the redevelopment.
Comments attributed to Health Minister Amber-Jade Sanderson:
"Kalamunda Hospital is a vital part of the hospital network and I welcome the improvements to the hospital that will be undertaken this year.
"This redevelopment will ensure patients will have access to high-quality end-of-life palliative care and the works will enhance the environment for patients, their families and carers."
Comments attributed to Kalamunda MLA Matthew Hughes:
"The Kalamunda and Perth Hills community has relied on the services provided by Kalamunda Hospital for more than 40 years and these improvements will ensure it continues to deliver a quality health service.
"The redevelopment of the hospital is on track to be completed by the end of the year and I look forward to seeing it firsthand when it is completed."
Minister's office - 6552 5900