- 12 community garden projects share $99,674.50 in State Government grants
- Grants support the establishment or upgrading of community gardens
- Some grants will fund projects that improve disability access to community gardens
Twelve community-based organisations from across Western Australia will have garden projects brought to life thanks to the State Government's Community Gardens Grants Program.
Grants provided through the program support the establishment and upgrading of community gardens that enable people to participate in community life.
The Community Gardens Grants Program provides grants of up to $10,000 per project. The funding can be used on a wide range of garden-related items and services, from plants, seedlings and fertiliser to planning, design and training services.
The program has an emphasis on inclusiveness and accessibility, and community participation by individuals and organisations. A number of this year's grants will fund projects that improve disability access to community gardens.
Grants are open to incorporated not-for-profit community organisations, local government authorities and community groups.
Projects funded in the most recent round include:
- $6,630 for the Shire of Mundaring for raised garden beds, a water tank, tool shed, gardening tools, consumable garden items, signage and an educational workshop for the Wooroloo Connect Garden for the Community;
- $9,500 for the Beverley Community Resource Centre to hold four garden related workshops with guest speakers and garden consumables;
- $4707.50 for the Baldivis Community Garden Inc to design and build an accessible shade-house and install irrigation;
- $9,977 for the Lakelands Community Garden Inc to purchase raised garden beds, shade tunnels, wheel-chair gardening tables, soils and mulches; and
- $9,989 for the Wongan Hills Community Garden Inc to further develop an existing Community Garden with raised garden beds, picnic and bench seating, lighting and resurfacing and levelling of pathways to improve accessibility.
Comments attributed to Community Services Minister Simone McGurk:
"Community gardening is a great way to bring people together at a local level while creating beautiful green spaces we can all enjoy.
"The State Government grants will fund projects that allow organisations to take the first steps to establish a community garden or help existing gardens to flourish.
"Everybody should have the opportunity to enjoy these green spaces and it's positive that grants will also fund projects that improve disability access to community gardens.
"Community gardens are an opportunity for people to come together by enabling them to make connections across generations and cultural backgrounds and develop new skills."
Minister's office - 6552 6600
|Organisation||Project Name||Amount Funded||Region|
|Adventist Development and Relief Agency Australia Ltd.||ADRA Community Garden Cannington||$9,884.00||South-East Metropolitan|
|Preston Beach Community Garden Inc.||Preston Beach Community Garden||$7,017.00||Peel|
|Frankland River Community Resource Centre Inc||Frankland River Community Garden||$9,960.00||Great Southern|
|Lakelands Community Garden Inc||Community Garden project||$9,977.00||Peel|
|Grow Greenbushes Inc.||Greenbushes Go2 Community Garden||$4,150.00||South-West|
|Beananing Kwuurt Institute||Beananing Kwuurt Community garden||$9,650.00||South-East Metropolitan|
|Uniting Church in Australia Augusta Congregation||Augusta Community Garden||$9,050.00||South-West|
|Gnarojin Community Garden Inc||Gnarojin Community Organic Garden Workshop Program||$9,160.00||Wheatbelt|
|Wongan Hills Community Garden Inc||To develop and beautify outside eastern perimeter for community use||$9,989.00||Wheatbelt|
|Beverley Community Resource Centre Inc.||Beverley Community Garden - Learning & growing together||$9,500.00||Wheatbelt|
|Shire of Mundaring||Wooroloo Connect, Garden for the Community||$6,630.00||North East Metropolitan|
|Baldivis Community Garden Inc||A shadehouse for Baldivis Community Garden||$4,707.50||South West Metropolitan|
|TOTAL|| ||$99,674.50|| |