- State Government is seeking community feedback on plans for West Coast Highway
- Planning concept includes a centrally located, three-lane, lowered road to separate local and regional traffic
- Almost 40,000 vehicles use highway daily, which is estimated to increase to 50,000 by 2041
- Community consultation closes on Friday February 25, 2022 at 4pm
The State Government is seeking community feedback on plans for the future of West Coast Highway between Ventnor Street and West Coast Terrace in Scarborough.
A planning study is now underway, with the community invited to provide feedback on a preferred concept that will better connect Scarborough with its iconic beach foreshore and world-class facilities.
The concept separates regional traffic from local traffic and provides safer crossings and intersections for pedestrians, bike riders and vehicles. The concept also provides for wider verges and space for future urban design that will enhance Scarborough.
The plan includes a centrally located, three-lane, lowered road allowing regional traffic to pass under intersections at Brighton Road, Scarborough Beach Road and Manning Street.
Other ideas being examined for traffic at surface level include:
- new lower speed and lower volume parallel roads that are easier to cross, improving connectivity and accessibility;
- full movement intersections at Brighton Road, Scarborough Beach Road and Manning Street allowing better east-west movements for local traffic;
- generous intersections with purpose-built pedestrian crossing points; and
- wider verges for paths, landscaping and public amenities with minimal additional land impacts.
Future planning processes will guide future changes to the respective planning schemes and help finalise a detailed design before funding opportunities are examined.
To view a video of the concept and have your say on the planning study, visit https://www.mysaytransport.wa.gov.au. Community consultation closes on Friday February 25, 2022 at 4pm.
Comments attributed to Transport Minister Rita Saffioti:
"We want to hear from the local community on their thoughts about our new planning concept for West Coast Highway between Ventnor Street and West Coast Terrace in Scarborough.
"Almost 40,000 vehicles use this section of highway daily, with modelling predicting this will grow to 50,000 vehicles by 2041 - so it's important that we start planning for the future of Scarborough now.
"This planning concept aims to improve safety and connectivity, while minimising impacts on the coast, existing businesses, residents and future development.
"I would encourage everyone to view the planning concept and have their say."
Comments attributed to Scarborough MLA Stuart Aubrey:
"We live in a beautiful part of Western Australia and it's important we take the time to properly plan for the future of Scarborough.
"This planning concept aims to separate regional and local traffic, improving safety while also providing better connections to our foreshore.
"I encourage everyone to view the video and have their say before February 25."
Minister's office - 6552 5500