- McGowan Government delivers another WA Recovery Plan project
- Ern Halliday Recreation Camp re-opening coincides with camp's 45th anniversary
- Upgrades include new dormitories, dining hall, refurbished kitchen and accessible changing places
- McGowan Government keeping WA healthy, active and connected
The McGowan Government has delivered its $3.7 million WA Recovery Plan revitalisation project of the Ern Halliday Recreation Camp in Perth's northern suburbs.
Premier Mark McGowan today officially opened the new facilities and marked 45 years since the camp first opened its doors in 1976.
The camp provides adventure recreation activities and camp experiences suitable for all ages and abilities. It attracts more than 55,000 people annually.
The camp's Spinnaker Precinct refurbishment includes:
- a new 72-bed dormitory facility designed to support adult users, adequate segregation to support child safeguarding and improved disability access;
- inclusion of an accessible 'Changing Places' facility into the accommodation area;
- fully refurbished ablution block and laundry area;
- upgraded kitchen facility to support onsite catering and self-catering;
- a new dining hall that connects clients with the natural beauty of the site;
- designated vehicle and pedestrian access; and
- new landscaping.
Comments attributed to Premier Mark McGowan:
"The Ern Halliday Camp has been known amongst its clients as the 'sanctuary in the suburbs' for the past 45 years.
"With support provided by my Government this sanctuary has been given a new lease of life.
"Through the WA Recovery Plan my Government committed funding for infrastructure projects across a variety of areas including education, health, emergency services, sport, and culture.
"These projects have been key to rebuilding business confidence, supporting local businesses and creating jobs - resulting in more Western Australians being employed than ever before."
Comments attributed to Sport and Recreation and Finance Minister Tony Buti:
"Since the opening of the original buildings in 1976, the facility has been used as a place for people to connect with their local community and enjoy the many benefits from social interaction and active recreation.
"This project is a demonstration of our Government's commitment to building strong and resilient communities through providing opportunities for people to come together to learn important life skills and participate in recreational activities.
"More and more Western Australians are enjoying recreational pursuits locally and facilities like Ern Halliday are a great way to facilitate healthy pastimes."
Comments attributed to Hillarys MLA Caitlin Collins:
"Ern Halliday Recreation Camp is the home of cherished memories for thousands of Western Australians.
"I'm delighted the McGowan State Government has responded so positively to the Hillarys community's advocacy on this matter. I'm proud to be delivering on my election commitment to ensure the camp continues to create special memories for Western Australians for many more decades to come.
"Ern Halliday Recreation Camp boasts an incredible coastal location and a wealth of recreational programs for Western Australians both young and old. It exemplifies the active coastal recreation lifestyle the Hillarys community is famous for."
Premier's office - 6552 5000
Sport and Recreation and Finance Minister's office - 6552 6400