- The $256.7 million Joondalup Health Campus Development Project is well underway and in the construction phase
- Expansion of the emergency department is due to be completed in November 2021
- Multiplex Constructions Pty Ltd is the appointed Early Contractor Involvement contractor
The $256.7 million Joondalup Health Campus expansion is well underway with Health Minister Roger Cook and Joondalup MLA Emily Hamilton touring the facility today.
The construction of the new 12-bay expanded emergency department is nearing completion. This expansion will increase the hospital's capability to safely manage patients with infectious diseases, including COVID-19.
The emergency department works, including the Behavioural Assessment Urgent Care Clinic, will be completed in November 2021.
Construction is also well underway to expand the capacity of the multi-storey staff car park by an additional 215 parking bays.
The McGowan Government is investing more than $1.3 billion over the next four years into health infrastructure, including major hospital redevelopments and expansions across the State.
This includes works at Joondalup Health Campus, Fremantle Hospital, Bunbury Regional Hospital, Peel Health Campus, Geraldton Health Campus, Laverton Hospital, Tom Price Hospital, Newman Health Service and more.
The full expansion of Joondalup Health Campus comprises of:
- a new mental health building including 30 new acute mental health inpatient beds;
- 12 emergency department beds;
- 90 inpatient beds in a design to meet future demand;
- six new Coronary Care beds;
- a new theatre;
- a Cardiac Catheterisation Laboratory (Cath Lab);
- one specialised clinic to operate as a Behavioural Assessment Urgent Care Clinic;
- increased parking bays; and
- upgrades to associated services (including Central Energy Plant, Central Sterilising Services Department, Biomedical Engineering Department and Stores Area).
Multiplex Constructions Pty Ltd is the appointed Early Contractor Involvement contractor.
The total cost of the expansion project is estimated at $256.7 million, of which the Commonwealth has committed $158 million under the Western Australian Hospital Infrastructure Package.
Comments attributed to Health Minister Roger Cook:
"It was great to see firsthand the progress of the Joondalup Health Campus upgrade. The $256.7 million project is a huge investment in the hospital to meet the needs of the growing northern corridor of Perth.
"The construction of the new expanded emergency department will extend the capacity of the emergency department and will be completed in November.
"This project is a priority of the McGowan Government and I look forward to seeing its completion."
Comments attributed to Joondalup MLA Emily Hamilton:
"The Joondalup Health Campus expansion includes a new mental health building that will provide an additional 30 acute mental health inpatient beds, and an expansion to the existing emergency department.
"This expansion comes on top of the already-opened mental health observation area and the stroke unit.
"The expanded hospital facilities will create hundreds of construction jobs and I look forward to it delivering real benefits for the local community."
Minister's office - 6552 6500