- WA Recovery Plan delivers strongest business confidence in the nation
- Recovery and Jobs Plan ensures WA has rebounded stronger than ever
- Strongest retail growth, job ads, building approvals and housing finance outcomes
- WA employment growth is the fastest in the nation
The WA Recovery Plan is leading the nation's economic recovery following the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic and has ensured Western Australia has been able to rebound stronger than ever.
The strong results are outlined in the updated WA Impact Statement which details the known and emerging impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on WA, across economic, social, health and industry areas as well as the regions.
It takes into consideration the on-going measures that have been implemented to prevent the spread of the virus, the response to its impacts, and progress with both economic and community recovery.
Launched in July, the WA Recovery Plan is a $5.5 billion investment by the WA Government and is driving the Western Australian economy and helping WA get back to being a thriving and innovative place to live, work, visit and do business.
Some of the Plan's successes include:
- More than 47,000 enrolments in affordable TAFE courses as part of the Lower Fees, Local Skills initiative;
- Since March 2020, Lotterywest's COVID-19 Relief Fund has funded 510 grants to WA community groups totalling more than $78 million;
- More than 2,400 applications for the $20,000 building bonus grants;
- Fee relief, direct support and contracts with many businesses and community services providers;
- More than $1.7 billion already expended, boosting WA's economic recovery; and
- The majority of more than 500 projects are on-track for delivery in the projected timeframes, with many already delivered.
The WA Impact Statement can be found at http://www.wa.gov.au/impactstatement
Comments attributed to Premier Mark McGowan:
"Our WA Recovery and Jobs Plan is working and is keeping WA strong.
"We see the jobs market continue to go from strength to strength with employment, unemployment and underemployment all moving in the right direction.
"As a result, 98.5 per cent of jobs lost during COVID-19 have been recovered.
"Western Australia has the strongest projected economic growth for this financial year of any State in the country - this is a world-class result in the face of a global pandemic.
"WA has been shielded from any sort of recession or more adverse impact from the pandemic and the unemployment rate continues to fall declining to 6.4 per cent last month.
"We have been able to keep the WA community free of COVID-19 through the implementation of our hard and controlled interstate border, while ensuring the WA community is kept safe and strong during the easing of restrictions.
"In the face of the COVID-19 pandemic we've delivered the strongest business confidence in the nation, the strongest retail growth, job ads, building approvals and housing finance in the nation, while ensuring the WA health system has been strengthened to manage possible future outbreaks.
"The WA Recovery Plan and its initiatives have exceeded our expectations and is the result of so many people and their hard work and perseverance."
Premier's office - 6552 5000