- Work commences on almost $4 million worth of road upgrades for the Port Hedland Spoilbank Marina
- Road upgrades to accommodate construction trucking and create a direct link to new facility once complete
- Work marks significant milestone in $121.5 million Spoilbank Marina and waterfront redevelopment
- Key McGowan Government election commitment underway
Work has commenced on the first stage of the McGowan Government's $121.5 million Port Hedland Spoilbank Marina, marking a significant milestone in the delivery of the transformative project.
Almost $4 million worth of upgrades to key roads in the area are underway, which will ensure materials can be safely transported to and from the site during construction and create a gateway to the new marina once complete.
Wilson, Short and Anderson streets will be widened while Morgans Street will be widened and extended through the old hospital site to provide a direct link to the marina.
The contract for the Stage 1 road works has been awarded to Aboriginal-owned business Garli Pty Ltd, and is expected to create up to 35 jobs and inject up to $1 million to the Port Hedland economy.
Tenders for bulk earthworks, including excavation of the marina basin, closed last month, with works expected to get underway in early 2021.
The Spoilbank Marina will transform Port Hedland's waterfront into an attractive and popular destination for locals and visitors.
Features of the Spoilbank Marina development include:
- a four-lane boat ramp;
- 21 boat-pen marina with capacity to expand to 80 pens in the future;
- separate entrance channel to the main shipping channel;
- trailer parking for up to 200 vehicles;
- maintenance hardstand;
- publicly accessible breakwaters with pedestrian path;
- public recreation and event space and public amenities;
- waterfront promenade to reflect the Yintha Kariyarra creation serpent story; and
- public art and a cultural gathering space.
Comments attributed to Regional Development Minister Alannah MacTiernan:
"Today marks a major milestone in the delivery of the long-awaited marina at Port Hedland.
"It is a good moment for the Port Hedland community as they witness their great vision for the future of the town become a reality.
"The roads selected for upgrades will create the least amount of inconvenience to residents during construction, and will provide direct long-term access to the marina once complete.
"We are getting on with delivering for the Hedland community, with the next major tranche of works on the Spoilbank Marina expected to start in early 2021."
Comments attributed to Transport Minister Rita Saffioti:
"This almost $4 million worth of road upgrades, being undertaken by Main Roads, will make it easier for major construction to be undertaken on this project, while also improving access once the project is complete.
"Port Hedland is a beautiful destination and this project will encourage more tourists and locals alike to visit.
"The McGowan Government is spending a record amount on transport infrastructure in regional WA with more than $100 million being spent monthly."
Comments attributed to Pilbara MLA Kevin Michel:
"The McGowan Government is delivering on our election commitment to bring the dream of a marina in Port Hedland to life.
"The project will create local jobs in construction and create a truly magnificent local community asset."
Regional Development Minister's office - 6552 6200
Transport Minister's office - 6552 5500