- Work continues on $30 million upgrade to South Coast Highway in the Great Southern
- Local WA company, Ertech Pty Ltd, awarded the contract in October
- Construction has commenced and is due to be completed in May 2021
- Another key McGowan Government election commitment delivered
The McGowan Government continues to deliver its $30 million election commitment to upgrade South Coast Highway, between Albany and Jerramungup in the Great Southern, with work now underway on the third stage of the project.
Transport Minister Rita Saffioti and Albany MLA Peter Watson visited the stretch of road today to mark the start of construction.
The third stage of works includes reconstruction and widening of the highway, and construction of two passing lanes between Bluff Creek Road and Kojaneerup West Road.
Upgrades along the highway have been undertaken in a staged approach since the start of 2019.
Road safety improvements have included:
- Stage one: Mead Road section - widening the pavement from seven to 11 metres between Kilarney Road and Monty's Leap Winery, and construction of a westbound passing lane approximately 2.5 kilometres west of Kalgan River Bridge (completed June 2019).
- Stage two: Kalgan section - widening the pavement from seven to 11 metres between Monty's Leap Winery and the Kalgan River Bridge (completed April 2020).
Ertech Pty Ltd was announced as the successful contractor for stage three in October this year, with the project due for completion in May 2021.
When complete, the $30 million project will have supported approximately 150 direct and indirect jobs during construction.
Comments attributed to Transport Minister Rita Saffioti:
"I am thrilled to be back in the Great Southern to mark the start of construction on the third stage of this important McGowan Government election commitment.
"This stage has been designed to optimise benefits for a variety of road users, including the heavy vehicle industry as South Coast Highway is an important freight transport corridor servicing the ports of Albany and Esperance.
"Once completed, the entire program of works along South Coast Highway will provide safer travelling opportunities and improve transport efficiencies in the Great Southern region.
"This is yet another example of our Government's significant commitment to improving road safety on our regional roads."
Comments attributed to Albany MLA Peter Watson:
"This was one of my key election commitments and I'm pleased to have delivered on it.
"Stage three works will improve safety and support local jobs.
"Our Government is getting on with the job and delivering key road projects all across the Great Southern region, including the long awaited Albany Ring Road and upgrades to Albany Highway."
Minister's office - 6552 5500