- Preparatory works commence for the major redevelopment and expansion of Joondalup Health Campus
- Four builders progress to final tender stage for the $256.7 million project
- New development includes extra mental health beds, new operating theatres and additional inpatient beds
- Expanded emergency department and a Behavioural Assessment Urgent Care Clinic to treat drug and alcohol affected emergency department patients
- Delivery of another McGowan Government election commitment
Construction on the Joondalup Health Campus Development Stage 2 Project has commenced, with early works underway to relocate the emergency department (ED) administration unit to facilitate an expansion of the ED. The works, being undertaken by Malaga-based contractor Kwikfit, are expected to be completed by September.
In addition, the McGowan Government can announce today that four builders - Multiplex, Lendlease, Georgiou and Built - have been selected to progress through to the tendering stage for the major component of the project, with a decision on the successful contractor expected in October 2020. The entire build is scheduled to be completed by late 2025.
The expansion will comprise:
- 30 new mental health inpatient beds;
- 12 additional emergency department patient bays;
- an Urgent Care Clinic;
- 90 inpatient beds in a design to meet future demand;
- six new critical care beds;
- increased parking bays for members of the public and staff; and
- a new operating theatre and cardiac catheter laboratory.
The total cost of the expansion project is $256.7 million, of which the Commonwealth Government has committed $158 million.
Comments attributed to Health Minister Roger Cook:
"Expanding the Joondalup Health Campus to meet growing demand is a priority for the McGowan Government. The expansion will create jobs and deliver a world-class public hospital to meet the growing population needs of Perth's northern corridor.
"The build commenced this month, as scheduled, with early works to relocate the administration unit to enable the further expansion of the emergency department.
"The McGowan Government is putting patients first and delivering on its election commitment to the residents of Perth's northern suburbs."
Comments attributed to Joondalup MLA Emily Hamilton:
"The northern corridor is one of the fastest growing regions in Australia, and I am proud to be part of the McGowan Labor Government that is delivering on its election commitment to upgrade and expand the Joondalup Health Campus and continuing to invest in key health infrastructure for our community.
"We have already delivered a Mental Health Observation Area and a new Stroke Unit at the Joondalup Health Campus. These important facilities are already delivering better health services for locals.
"As the Member for Joondalup, I will continue to advocate for the needs of our community and this includes providing quality healthcare at the Joondalup Health Campus."
Minister's office - 6552 6500