- A Cultural Precinct Taskforce will be convened to consider the future vision for the Perth Cultural Centre
- Member for Perth, John Carey MLA will chair the Taskforce
- With the imminent opening of the New Museum the Perth Cultural Centre becomes a premier tourist destination
A new taskforce has been established to oversee a transformation of the Perth Cultural Centre.
The Cultural Precinct Taskforce will be led by John Carey MLA and will begin linking short- term maintenance and activation strategies in preparation for the New Museum opening in late 2020. The Taskforce will also consider opportunities for long-term improvements, and liaise with the community and other key stakeholders to ensure a unified future vision of the Perth Cultural Centre.
The Taskforce allows for a co-ordinated approach that is connected to Government priorities and enable the Perth Cultural Centre to become a tourism hub for Western Australia's rich cultural diversity and in particular be a focal point for the recognition of Aboriginal culture.
The Taskforce will consist of high-level representation from: Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries and its portfolio agencies; Department of Premier and Cabinet; Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage; Department of Jobs, Tourism, Science and Innovation; Tourism WA, Development WA and the City of Perth.
Comments attributed to Culture and Arts Minister David Templeman:
"The Perth Cultural Centre forms the heart of the city so it's important there is a unified vision for the space.
"The State Government is working to create a space that welcomes tourists and brings together the local community."
Comments attributed to Member for Perth John Carey:
"Cultural tourism is the fastest growing tourism sector and the Perth Cultural Centre has enormous potential to capture more of this.
"As the Member for Perth I have a passion to see an activated Perth Cultural Centre.
"I am honoured to be able to contribute to a new vision for the Perth Cultural Centre in my role as Taskforce Chair."
- Perth Cultural Centre is the area bound by Roe, William Beaufort and Francis Streets in Northbridge. It includes the Art Gallery of WA, the New Museum, the State Library of WA, the State Records Office, the State Theatre Centre of WA, PICA and the Blue Room
- The Perth Cultural Centre public realm is managed on behalf of the State Government by the Perth Theatre Trust
Minister's office - 6552 5400