- Upgrades starting on the intersection of Orrong Road and Francisco Street in Lathlain
- $4.5 million worth of upgrades to intersection funded through Black Spot Program
- More than 60,000 vehicles use intersection daily and there have been 90 crashes over the past five years
- McGowan Government has allocated more than $4.2 billion in 2019-20 State Budget for road infrastructure
A major Orrong Road intersection is getting a $4.5 million upgrade thanks to the McGowan Government's Black Spot Program.
Transport Minister Rita Saffioti visited the site today, with Victoria Park MLA Ben Wyatt and Belmont MLA Cassie Rowe, to view the start of construction.
The upgrade work includes:
- modifying traffic signals on Orrong Road's northbound and southbound approaches, to improve safety by only allowing right turns under green arrow control;
- extending the left-turn pocket for northbound traffic on Orrong Road;
- installing an extended double right-turn pocket for northbound traffic on Orrong Road;
- extending the right-turn pocket for Orrong Road traffic turning into Francisco Place;
- installing mast arms for the traffic signals on Orrong Road to improve visibility;
- installing CCTV and speed cameras (in consultation with WA Police);
- upgrading street lighting and pedestrian crossing facilities; and
- resurfacing works.
Accessed by more than 60,000 vehicles daily, this section of Orrong Road is a known congestion 'hot spot', particularly during morning and afternoon peak periods.
Over the past five years there have been about 90 crashes at this intersection which have resulted in eight hospitalisations.
The upgrades are expected to significantly improve traffic flow and safety in the area, with completion expected by early January 2020.
Comments attributed to Transport Minister Rita Saffioti:
"More than 60,000 vehicles travel through the intersection of Orrong Road and Francisco Street every day.
"These $4.5 million worth of upgrades will help improve safety and traffic flow at one of Perth's busiest intersections.
"Since its inception in 2000, the Black Spot Program has delivered almost a half a billion dollars in specific safety initiatives on the WA road network for drivers, motorcyclists, cyclists and pedestrians.
"The program aims to further improve road safety across the State, reducing the significant trauma and suffering of crash victims and their loved ones by targeting sites with a proven crash history or those with a high risk."
Comments attributed to Victoria Park MLA Ben Wyatt:
"Orrong Road is one of the busiest roads in Perth and the intersection with Francisco Street has become one of our most dangerous local intersections with regular and significant crashes.
"I am delighted that the McGowan Government is able, through its strong budget management, to allocate resources to spend on this intersection to improve safety, access for locals and streamline traffic along Orrong Road."
Comments attributed to Belmont MLA Cassie Rowe:
"This is fantastic news for the Belmont electorate, with many residents using Orrong Road on a daily basis.
"The upgrades are much needed and will help to make our roads safer whilst also reducing congestion - my community will be really pleased.
"With over 90 crashes in five years, this funding announcement is a really important outcome."
Minister's office - 6552 5500