- Balcatta schools to receive approximately $1.17 million under the $200 million maintenance package announced for all 789 WA public schools
- Package to address high priority maintenance at every WA public school
- Balcatta Senior High School to receive approximately $221,000, on top of the McGowan Government's $50 million expansion and upgrades underway
- The WA jobs initiative to deliver an economic stimulus and create 3,150 WA jobs
Balcatta schools will receive $1.17 million for important maintenance, as part of the McGowan Government's $200 million job-creating school maintenance blitz.
Premier Mark McGowan, Education and Training Minister Sue Ellery and Balcatta MLA David Michael today visited Balcatta Senior High School which will receive $221,393 to address maintenance issues and deliver car park and traffic management upgrades, structural improvements.
The $1.17 million for Balcatta schools includes:
- Balcatta Primary School - $67,002 including upgrades to toilets
- Balcatta Senior High School - $221,393 for maintenance, car park resurfacing and structural upgrades
- East Hamersley Primary School - $548,532 for toilet and classroom refreshments and structural upgrades
- Glendale Primary School - $26,000 for maintenance
- Osborne Primary School - $27,968 for maintenance and structural upgrades
- Takari Primary School - $138,439 classroom refreshments and structural and electrical upgrades
- Tuart Hill Primary School - $88,910 for structural upgrades and removal of redundant evaporative air conditioning systems
- West Balcatta Primary School - $52,000 for maintenance
The maintenance boost comes on top of the McGowan Government's $50 million major expansion and upgrade to Balcatta SHS, which got underway earlier this year.
The job-creating expansion includes a new administration area, performing arts centre, gymnasium, science and general classrooms, and staff areas - all located in a three-storey block.
Every Western Australian public school will benefit from the $200 million maintenance blitz, which will commence immediately and create 3,150 jobs across the State.
Under the McGowan Government's 'Direct to Market' framework, local schools have the ability to engage local contractors directly, without unnecessary red tape.
Comments attributed to Premier Mark McGowan:
"Our major school maintenance blitz will benefit each public school across the State, including several in Balcatta.
"We have the flexibility to deliver this program of works because we got the finances back on track and the Budget back to surplus.
"It's crucial we continue to invest in local schools to make sure facilities remain at the highest standard for our kids."
Comments attributed to Education and Training Minister Sue Ellery:
"I'm pleased Balcatta schools have been able to share in one of the biggest ever investments in WA schools.
"This all about improving school faculties to create the best possible learning environment for students and teachers.
"It will also create thousands of WA jobs in important trades like electricians, painters and carpenters."
Comments attributed to Balcatta MLA David Michael:
"This is another example of the McGowan Government's strong investment in schools in Balcatta - the $1.17 million investment will go a long way to addressing maintenance issues at many schools in the electorate.
"While the $50 million upgrade will completely revitalise Balcatta SHS, it's important to continue to address maintenance issues that are common across all schools.
"The upgrades to the car park and toilets and other outstanding maintenance issues will make a big difference to students and staff."
Premier's office - 6552 5000
Education and Training Minister's office - 6552 5700