- The WA Government's Defence Science Centre has announced grants for collaborative research on innovative technologies with applications to Defence
- Two grants programs are available - one for collaborations between universities, industry and Defence, and a second for students working with businesses on defence-related projects
- The Defence Science Centre and its grants programs are important components of the McGowan Government's Defence Industry Strategic Plan
Developing new ideas and delivering innovative Western Australian technologies and solutions to Defence markets is the focus of research grants opened today by the Defence Science Centre.
The grants aim to establish vibrant research collaborations between universities and businesses that strengthen the State's defence industry capabilities, commercialise emerging technologies and diversify the Western Australian economy.
The grants also promote skills exchange between universities, government and industry to cultivate a long-term focus on innovation and the fostering of relationships.
Supporting students' research into defence-related technologies will help create a future workforce with world-leading skills and enhance the global competitiveness of our local defence industry.
The Defence Science Centre has invited applications for two grants programs:
- Collaborative Research Grants provide funding for collaborations between universities and industry to undertake research on technologies and innovations relevant to the Defence industry. Grants will be in the range of $50,000 to $150,000 and must be linked to the Department of Defence's technology-themed Next Gen Tech Fund priorities or maritime maintenance.
- Research Higher Degree Student Grants provide funding to students working on collaborative defence-relevant projects or undertaking defence industry placements as part of their study. These grants will provide $15,000.
More information on the grants, including eligibility and the application and assessment process is available at http://www.jtsi.wa.gov.au/dsc
Comments attributed to Defence Issues Minister Paul Papalia:
"The Defence Science Centre grants program is a central pillar of the McGowan Government's strategy to grow the State's defence industry and create defence jobs.
"The research grants will boost innovation and collaboration between universities and businesses and help bring emerging technologies to market.
"Defence needs are both varied and highly technical, and WA's world-leading expertise in robotics, cyber security and automation are examples of technologies that can be developed to have significant defence applications.
"This grants program is one of the ways the Defence Science Centre is delivering on its mission to connect universities and researchers with industry and defence to build a stronger economy in WA."
Minister's office - 6552 5600