- Premier announces additional $11.8 million for Bunbury Hospital redevelopment
- Funding is in addition to $11 million recently announced in the State Budget, delivering an important election commitment
- Redevelopment reflects the increasing demands on health services at the hospital and the growing population in the South-West
- The redevelopment will allow more complex patients to be treated in Bunbury rather than being transferred to metropolitan hospitals
Premier Mark McGowan and Health Minister Roger Cook joined Bunbury MLA Don Punch today to announce an additional $11.8 million towards the redevelopment of Bunbury Hospital.
The funding boost builds on the $11 million already committed to the redevelopment in the State Budget.
The additional funding will deliver:
- Construction of an additional operating theatre;
- Reconfiguration of the emergency department 'Fastrack' area;
- Establishment of an acute medical assessment unit;
- Implementation of a mental health observation area;
- Expanded capacity of the intensive care unit;
- Increased parking bays for the site; and
- Improved Hospital in the Home and telehealth capabilities at community locations.
The redevelopment of Bunbury Hospital, which opened in 1999, reflects the increasing demands on health services at the hospital, which are expected to grow in line with population forecasts.
The upgrade will also help ensure the hospital keeps pace with contemporary models of care, and futureproofs the facility to address the expected growth of an ageing population.
The redevelopment will also enable more complex patients to be treated in Bunbury rather than being transferred to metropolitan hospitals.
The upgrades are expected to get underway in the second half of next year.
Comments attributed to Premier Mark McGowan:
"This funding injection will allow us to fast-track crucial additional upgrades to Bunbury Hospital, to meet the growing needs of Bunbury and the South-West.
"It will streamline services to allow patients to be treated in a more timely manner, with a focus on contemporary models of care.
"Today's announcement brings our total investment in Bunbury Hospital to $22.8 million, a commitment that recognises the increasing demand on the facility.
"My Government is continuing its strong investment in the South-West, to deliver important improvements to infrastructure and services closer to where people live."
Comments attributed to Health Minister Roger Cook:
"Bunbury Hospital, which is one of the busiest sites in regional WA, particularly during school holiday periods, has a long tradition of providing high-quality care to the community and region.
"This is part of the State Government's commitment to provide future health services and support the delivery of contemporary models of care in Bunbury and the South-West.
"This announcement goes some way to addressing one of the recommendations from the Sustainable Health Review to address pressure on Bunbury Hospital."
Comments attributed to Bunbury MLA Don Punch:
"This is a big win for our community and shows the McGowan Government is focused on delivering high-quality health services for local families and to continuing to deliver on our Plan for Bunbury.
"The population of the South-West area is expected to increase by more than 40,000 in the next 12 years and, as a Government, we are working to deliver world-class services to keep up with that growth.
"The redevelopment will help improve health outcomes of the local and surrounding communities by improving provision of services closer to home."
Premier's office - 6552 5000
Health Minister's office - 6552 6500