- WA tourism businesses win eight gold medals at Qantas Australian Tourism Awards
- Two WA businesses awarded silver medals; six WA businesses awarded bronze medals
- New record set for highest number of WA medallists
Western Australian tourism businesses have struck gold in a record-breaking medal haul at the prestigious 2018 Qantas Australian Tourism Awards held last night in Launceston, Tasmania.
WA tourism businesses were awarded eight gold medals - equalling last year's gold medal tally - with two securing silver and six bronze. The medal tally total of 16 is the largest medal haul for the State since the awards' inception in 1985.
Horizontal Falls Seaplane Adventures won three gold medals, securing the top honours in the Tourist Attractions, Adventure Tourism and Unique Accommodation categories.
The Australian Tourism Awards are the tourism industry's peak awards, which recognise and promote excellence in tourism. The awards cover 25 categories including accommodation, marketing, tourist attractions, festivals and events, food tourism and cultural tourism. Only State tourism award winners are eligible to enter the national awards.
The award winners were selected from a field of more than 200 national finalists, and were announced at a gala function in front of tourism industry professionals and stakeholders.
Western Australian gold medal winners were as follows:
- Horizontal Falls Seaplane Adventures (Tourist Attractions)
- The Beach House at Bayside (Hosted Accommodation)
- Go Cultural Aboriginal Tours and Experiences (Qantas Award for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Tourism)
- Swan Valley Visitor Centre (Visitor Information Services)
- Kimberley Quest (Tour and Transport Operators)
- Horizontal Falls Seaplane Adventures (Adventure Tourism)
- Horizontal Falls Seaplane Adventures - The Horizontal Hotel (Unique Accommodation)
- Two Feet & a Heartbeat (Excellence in Food Tourism).
For a full list of winners, visit https://www.westernaustralia.com
Comments attributed to Tourism Minister Paul Papalia:
"On behalf of the State Government and Tourism Western Australia, I congratulate all the medallists. Their hard work and high standards have been rightly acknowledged.
"Tourism is vital to our State's economy; it creates jobs and develops business opportunities. The awards received by WA businesses are recognition that WA has real quality and diversity in its tourism offerings and operators who are committed to showing tourists the very best WA has to offer."
Minister's office - 6552 5600