- Winners of the Work Safety Awards Western Australia for 2018 revealed today
- The awards recognise outstanding workplace safety and health management, innovations and solutions that reduce the risk of injuries and disease in the workplace
The winners of the prestigious 2018 Work Safety Awards Western Australia were announced at the Perth Concert Hall this morning.
Winners of the following six categories include:
- Best workplace safety and health management system - Bethesda Health Care for its outstanding safety and health management system with its key focus on workforce engagement and consultation;
- Safety and health invention of the year - Watertight Robotics for its robotic cleaner designed specifically for the maintenance of water storage assets;
- Best solution to a specific workplace safety and health issue - Qantas Freight for the development of remote control operation of pallet lifters, eliminating the risks of work at heights;
- Best solution to a manual handling issue - Perth Airport for its Australian-first development of lit runway cross trailers to deploy lit 'closed runway' markings with minimal manual handling;
- Best initiative to encourage worker engagement in safety - GFWA for its safety awareness program called 'Our Cultural Shift' to improve the organisation's safety culture; and
- Safety and health representative of the year - Scott Hunt from the City of Cockburn for his consistent championing of safety and looking for ways to improve safety in the Waste Collection Services area and across the City.
Comments attributed to Commerce and Industrial Relations Minister Bill Johnston:
"The six winners are examples of excellent workplace innovations and occupational safety and health systems being developed in our State.
"These awards are all about encouraging best practice in safety and health, and the winners are leading the way by making a significant contribution to making WA workplaces safer.
"One of the McGowan Government's number one priorities is the safety of workers, and I'd like to congratulate all the very worthy winners and finalists for nominating themselves for this year's awards."
Minister's office - 6552 6700