- Organisations recognised for outstanding contributions in resources sector at awards ceremony last night
The McGowan Government has congratulated the five winners of this year's Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety's Resources Sector Awards for Excellence.
Two projects demonstrated such high standards of environmental excellence that they were both awarded the prestigious Golden Gecko award.
BHP Iron Ore was recognised for its collaborative research project, Chasing Ghosts: Understanding Ghost Bat Ecology in the Pilbara.
WA Port Authorities and the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development, were also recognised for their world-first State Wide Array Surveillance Program.
The program uses molecular techniques with a marine biosecurity surveillance network to rapidly respond to any potential incursion of marine pests.
Roy Hill Holdings was awarded the Safety and Health Engineering category for its unique lightning protection system, which protects staff who are moving around facilities during lightning red alerts.
The Systems and People award was presented to Rio Tinto Iron Ore for its effective and practical solution to emergency response exposure reduction initiative - best practice, air borne contaminants, risk, reduction, initiative and operation (BARRIO).
BHP continued its success taking out the Community Partnership Resources Sector Award for its partnership with Foodbank WA, Healthy Food for All - Pilbara Regional Strategy.
Comments attributed to Mines and Petroleum Minister Bill Johnston:
"On behalf of the McGowan Government, I congratulate the winners who have demonstrated innovative thinking and used new technologies to safeguard our State.
"The people behind these innovations and improvements should be commended for benefitting our environment, communities, and the health and safety of our workers.
"Celebrating the advances made in the industry helps promote WA as a destination of choice for technological and service-based solutions in the resources sector."
Minister's office - 6552 6700
2018 Resources Sector Awards for Excellence
Golden Gecko Award
- Chasing Ghosts: Understanding Ghost Bat Ecology in the Pilbara, BHP Iron Ore
- The State Wide Array Surveillance Program, WA Port Authorities and Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development
Certificate of Merit:
- Alcoa and Murdoch University Partnership Eradicates Biological Bulldozer Phytophthora Dieback, Alcoa of Australia
Safety and Health Resources Sector Award
- Lightning Protection System, Roy Hill Holdings
Certificate of Merit:
- Spring Leaf Pack Hoist, Mineral Resources Limited
Systems and People
- Emergency response exposure reduction initiative, BARRIO, Rio Tinto Iron Ore
Certificate of Merit
- Newmont Boddington Gold Health and Safety Representative Mentoring Program, Newmont Mining
Community Partnership Resources Sector Award
- Healthy Food for All, Pilbara Regional Strategy, Foodbank WA and BHP
Certificates of Merit:
- Makerspace Project, Yule Brook College and Carey Mining
- Alcoa/Munda Biddi Trail Foundation Partnership, Munda Biddi Trail Foundation and Alcoa