- Department of Treasury releases discussion paper on the future of the TAB
- The Government recognises the importance of achieving the long-term sustainability of the racing industry in a fast-changing landscape
- Constructive engagement will continue with the racing industry before a final decision is made
The Department of Treasury has released a discussion paper on the future of the Western Australian TAB. The discussion paper will shape the next phase of consultation, and will focus on the key issues.
Matters raised in the discussion paper include:
- Proposed commercial structures and contractual agreements;
- Racing industry guarantees and protections;
- Possible future legislative frameworks; and
- Related policy matters.
The McGowan Government has consistently said that the TAB would only be sold if it was in the best interests of the State and the racing industry. The Government will continue to engage constructively with racing industry representatives and with the broader industry prior to making a final decision about the future of the TAB.
This Government's key objective is to provide certainty to the racing industry over the future of the TAB, given the uncertainty the industry has had to contend with for the previous four years.
The discussion paper can be downloaded from the Department of Treasury's website at
Submissions to the discussion paper close on Monday August 6, 2018.
Comment attributed to Treasurer Ben Wyatt:
"I thank the racing industry representatives for their constructive engagement to this point. The McGowan Government is committed to continuing the consultation process in good faith, with a view of ending the uncertainty surrounding the future of the TAB later this year."
Comment attributed to Acting Racing and Gaming Minister Bill Johnston:
"I'm very grateful to Racing and Wagering Western Australia, the Racing Code Committees and the wider racing industry for engaging so thoroughly and positively in the process. I look forward to the McGowan Government and industry reaching an agreed position on the TAB's future."
Treasurer's office: 6552 5900
Racing and Gaming Minister's office: 6552 5600