- McGowan Government delivers election commitment to create jobs and strengthen quality health care for the Mid-West region
- $73.3 million for the stage 1 redevelopment of Geraldton Health Campus and a Mid-West mental health service
- The commitment over five years includes expansion of Geraldton Health Campus' emergency department, an acute psychiatric unit and a mental health short stay unit
- Additional $10.2 million for a community mental health step up/step down service
The McGowan Labor Government has delivered its election commitment to begin a staged expansion of the Geraldton Health Campus and boost mental health services for the Mid-West region.
As part of the 2018-19 State Budget, the $73.3 million of capital investment over five years, committed to the stage 1 redevelopment of Geraldton Health Campus will enable:
- An expanded emergency department and critical care unit;
- An acute psychiatric unit;
- A mental health short stay unit; and
- Essential engineering service upgrades to the existing infrastructure.
Essential engineering upgrades to Geraldton Health Campus include the replacement of the chillers to ensure the continuation and safe provision of healthcare services.
Mid-West residents will also benefit from a $10.2 million investment into a community mental health step up/step down service, which will be delivered through a purpose-built 10-bed facility - located off campus.
For more 2018-19 State Budget information, visit http://www.ourstatebudget.wa.gov.au
Comments attributed to Health and Mental Health Minister Roger Cook:
"The McGowan Labor Government has committed to undertake a major staged redevelopment of the Geraldton Health Campus which puts patients first.
"Current services in the Mid-West are under increasing pressure. This redevelopment is about providing high-quality services to our regional communities and care closer to home.
"This investment will deliver a combination of new build and refurbished infrastructure.
"Improving mental health in our regions remains a priority for the McGowan Government. This Budget includes a commitment to recurrent investment of $4.3 million for a community mental health step up/step down service to support patients in Geraldton and across the Mid-West region."
Minister's office - 6552 6500