- Perth is Australia's highest water using city and driest as a result of climate change
- Households are reminded to ensure sprinklers are set to the correct watering days
- With 40 per cent of water use occurring in the garden, this is where big water savings are made
Water Minister Dave Kelly today reminded households across Perth to ensure their sprinklers are set to the correct days, releasing the top 10 suburbs with households which received infringements in 2017.
Sprinkler rosters are in place across Perth, with scheme water users able to use sprinkler systems two days per week, either before 9am or after 6pm. Bore water users also follow the sprinkler roster but have one extra watering day.
People who witness a breach of the sprinkler roster can make a report at https://www.watercorporation.com.au/breach or call 13 10 39. Households receive a $100 fine if they are sighted breaching the sprinkler roster by an inspector, and a warning if they are reported by a member of the public, or if an inspector observes sprinklers have been used.
Watering days are determined by the last digit of a household's street number. To find out your watering days, go to https://www.watercorporation.com.au/save-water/watering-days
Those who would like to set and forget their irrigation can take advantage of the Water Corporation's Waterwise Irrigation Controller Offer.
The offer is available through Waterwise Irrigation Specialists and allows households to receive a 50 per cent discount (up to a maximum of $350) on the supply, installation and programming of a Waterwise Smart Approved WaterMark certified weather-based irrigation controller.
Comments attributed to Water Minister Dave Kelly:
"Despite a decrease in residential water use per property in Perth in 2016-17, we are still Australia's highest water using city.
"We are also the Australian city most impacted by reduced rainfall as a result of climate change and this means we all need to do our bit to ensure we use water wisely.
"The Perth community is very supportive of sprinkler rosters - in 2017, nearly 90 per cent of warnings issued were the result of contact from the public.
"Many people do not realise that over 40 per cent of water use in the home occurs outside in the garden, so this is where most of us can make big savings.
"While we may have had a mild summer, we received no rainfall in February and it appears we are in for an unseasonably hot autumn. This means it is essential people keep to their sprinkler roster days."
Minister's office - 6552 6100
Top 10 suburbs for sprinkler roster infringements in 2017
- Baldivis - 467 infringements
- Brabham - 299 infringements
- Aveley - 199 infringements
- Piara Waters - 185 infringements
- Byford - 175 infringements
- Caversham - 142 infringements
- Yanchep - 140 infringements
- Treeby - 138 infringements
- Banksia Grove - 135 infringements
- Nollamara - 129 infringements
- Secret Harbour - 13 infringements
- Ellenbrook - 9 infringements
- Dianella - 6 infringements
- Thornlie - 6 infringements
- Ballajura - 5 infringements
- Como - 5 infringements
- Aveley - 4 infringements
- Morley - 4 infringements
- Leeming - 4 infringements
- Port Kennedy - 4 infringements