- Events held across WA help maintain connection with sense of national identity
The Returned and Services League (RSL) WA will spend upwards of a million dollars this year to commemorate Anzac Day.
A Lotterywest grant of $849,498, along with City of Perth funding of $64,285 and the RSL WA's in-kind contribution, valued at more than $115,000, will support a series of events across the State to highlight the sacrifice and devotion of men and women in the defence forces who served their country.
The events will include:
- Anzac Day dawn and commemorative services across WA ($193,158);
- A parade march, memorial service at the Perth Concert Hall and gunfire breakfast ($121,919);
- Sunset services across the three days leading up to Anzac Day, to enable those who are unable to attend on the day the opportunity to pay their respects ($2,395);
- Event management, marketing and communications ($178,040); and
- Sub-branch commemorative events throughout 94 regional towns and communities ($353,986).
Anzac Day holds special significance as a national day of remembrance, and unites all Australians in celebrating our history and acknowledging our sense of national identity.
The RSL WA - which has a proud history dating back to 1916 - works on a daily basis to support veterans of the armed services and their families.
Lest we forget.
Comments attributed to Veterans Issues Minister Peter Tinley:
"The State Government, through Lotterywest, is pleased and proud to continue its support for the Anzac Day commemorations in 2018. The RSL WA's special focus on Anzac Day helps promote this very special occasion each year, and helps the general community connect with the significance of this national holiday in an enduring fashion.
"Commemorative occasions allow us to acknowledge the sacrifice and unselfish devotion of men and women who have served their country. In doing so, we remember that their service has contributed to something bigger than themselves and has preserved the freedoms of all Australians."
Minister's office - 6552 5300