- Search Diversity WA details demographic, cultural and socioeconomic characteristics of Western Australians
- Website will be a valuable tool for public policy and planning for equitable services
The McGowan Government, through the Office of Multicultural Interests, has launched Search Diversity WA, an online search facility that details the demographic, cultural, social and economic backgrounds of Western Australians, including profiles of all WA electoral divisions and local government areas.
The website was designed as a part of the McGowan Government's commitment to support the development of culturally inclusive policies, programs and services.
Search Diversity WA will assist government, non-government agencies and corporations to better understand WA's population. This will assist with effective decision-making and community planning for equitable services that meet the needs of this State's culturally and linguistically diverse (CaLD) communities.
The website has been built using data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics and includes:
- Demographic data - age group and gender;
- Education and work - qualifications, educational institution attendance, employment status, occupation, weekly personal income, and volunteering by gender;
- Cultural diversity - ancestry, birthplace, year of arrival, language spoken at home, proficiency in English, religion, and citizenship rates;
- Households - household size, family composition, dependent children, grandparent families, and household income; and
- Disability and carers - need for assistance, and carers by age group and gender.
Search Diversity WA is available via http://www.omi.wa.gov.au
Comments attributed to Citizenship and Multicultural Interests Minister Paul Papalia:
"It is imperative that government and non-government agencies, businesses, and community groups have easy access to information about this State's cultural diversity.
"Good planning starts with good information. The Search Diversity WA website will ensure that the right information is available to everyone so that cultural inclusivity is integral to all policy, service and community planning."
Minister's office - 6552 5600