- $6 million upgrade to facilities at Two Rocks Marina
- Improvements designed to address ageing infrastructure, improve safety and provide a foundation for future redevelopment opportunities
- Community Reference Group to be established to look at the long-term vision for the facility, with a view to creating local jobs
Two Rocks Marina will receive a $6 million revamp over the next two years to improve ageing infrastructure and prepare the facility for future needs.
Boat owners and the local community now have an opportunity to provide feedback on work to improve facilities at Two Rocks Marina as long-term planning for its redevelopment gets underway.
The Department of Transport, which took on the management of the run-down facility in 2014 following the expiry of a lease with a private operator, will use the funding to improve access and infrastructure over the next two years.
The works will include:
- Demolition of condemned maritime structures, including the original fuel jetty;
- Construction of relocated boat pens;
- Upgrading and maintenance of existing jetties;
- Reclamation within the harbour for future buildings, boat pens and car parking;
- Priority repairs to the existing breakwater; and
- Priority maintenance to existing buildings.
The Department of Transport is working closely with the City of Wanneroo to progress planning approval for the works.
More information about the upgrade will be available at the Phil Renkin Recreation Centre, 59 Lisford Avenue, Two Rocks on October 11, 2017 between 5pm and 7.30pm.
There will also be an opportunity to register to be involved in a Community Reference Group which will guide long-term planning and progress a vision for the redevelopment of the marina, which will include consideration of seagrass wrack accumulation and beach erosion around the marina.
Comments attributed to Transport Minister Rita Saffioti:
"The proposed work is critical to deliver safety and access improvements to the facility as the marina is progressively returned to the standard expected by the community.
"Population growth here has been significant and growth will continue over the next 20 years.
"Two Rocks Marina is well positioned to accommodate future demand and provide the local community with safe maritime facilities, access to the ocean and to generate economic opportunities and jobs in construction, retail and tourism.
"It's envisaged Two Rocks Marina will eventually provide visitors with an experience similar to that at Hillarys Boat Harbour which generates employment and millions of dollars for the economy each year."
Comments attributed to Butler MLA John Quigley:
"The long-term redevelopment and expansion at Two Rocks Marina will be complementary to the proposed Ocean Reef Marina.
"The formation of a Community Reference Group in the early stages plays a key role in ensuring community and user group interests and concerns are identified and addressed."
Minister's office - 6552 5500