John Bowler

John Bowler

Former Minister for Local Government; Employment Protection; Racing and Gaming; Goldfields-Esperance and Great Southern

    Grants of up to $200,000 for regional headworks now available

    16/05/2005 12:00 AM

    Up to $2million in State Government funding is available to assist regional industrial and commercial projects offset the costs of accessing essential services - such as water, electricity, telecommunications, gas, drainage and sewerage.

    Local Government and Regional Development Minister John Bowler today called for applications under the Regional Headworks Program (RHP) for grants of between $5,000 and $200,000.

    “The Gallop Government is ensuring regional Western Australia receives its fair share,” Mr Bowler said.

    “In response to feedback from regional organisations and applicants we have doubled both the annual value of this program and the maximum amount available to an eligible project.

    “The program aims to strengthen regional economies by attracting investment and increasing job opportunities through the creation, or support of, new industrial or commercial activity.

    “Projects which can demonstrate how they contribute to positive social or environmental outcomes could also be eligible.”

    The Minister said individual businesses, business groups, local government, community and not-for-profit organisations were encouraged to apply.

    “Categories of projects which may be considered for funding include tourism development, industry development, accommodation facilities and the development of certain types of community facilities,” he said.

    “The first round of this program last year assisted 19 projects throughout regional WA.”

    The Regional Headworks Program is part of the Gallop Government’s $80million Regional Investment Fund.

    Completed applications must be received by close of business on Monday July 18, 2005.

    For more information, please contact the Department of Local Government and Regional Development on 9217 1500, Freecall 1800 620 511 (country callers only), or visit the website

    Minister's office: 9213 6500