Skip To Content
Skip To Navigation
Go to whole of WA Government search
Search By Minister
Search By Region
Search By Portfolio
Subscribe to Email
Manage my subscriptions
Unsubscribe from Email
McGowan Labor Government
Barnett Liberal National Government
Carpenter Labor Government
Gallop Labor Government
Court Coalition Government
Lawrence Labor Government
Ministers release action plan for Warren Blackwood
6/12/2000 7:45 AM
A State Government initiative which aims to secure the future of the Warren Blackwood region is now available for public comment.
Deputy Premier Hendy Cowan and Forest Products Minister Paul Omodei said the Warren Blackwood draft Action Statement contained a wide range of proposed actions and strategies which were seen as necessary in strengthening and diversifying the local economy as well as enriching the quality of life of residents.
The Ministers said international and national market deregulation, long-term demographic trends and increasing concern about environmental issues were among the factors generating significant economic and social change in Warren Blackwood.
The release of the draft document follows the Government’s announcement last month of a $1.69 million funding package of immediate actions identified by local governments, business, industry and community groups in the Warren Blackwood area, as a foundation to move the action statement forward.
Mr Cowan said the draft document now available would allow the public to provide comment on a host of other recommended strategies that were identified during broad public consultation over the past four months.
He said the document was presented in a similar format to the Western Australian Regional Development Policy and featured projects under each of the policy’s six goal areas of:
enriched lifestyles and livelihoods;
developing wealth and employment;
environment and natural resource management; and -
Key initiatives proposed for the goal areas include:
providing incentives for people to undertake skills development;
increased funding for telecentres;
increased support for projects that add value to timber;
developing a strategy to promote Warren Blackwood to potential residents and long-stay tourists;
accelerating the upgrade of Mowen Road between Margaret River and Nannup to promote tourism and other business opportunities; and -
improved mobile phone services in the region.
Mr Omodei said the Warren Blackwood Action Statement complemented work already carried out under the South West Industry Restructuring Program and Forest Industry Structural Adjustment Package.
“Together, these initiatives can build a future where business, industry and communities can live and work in confidence,” he said.
“Local communities are to be congratulated for their extensive input and the scope and breadth of ideas they contributed.
“The Government intends to make further announcements on implementing the action plan in the months ahead and looks forward to further input from the public.”
Copies of the draft Action Statement are available from Manjimup, Bridgetown-Greenbushes, Boyup Brook and Nannup Shire council offices, the South West Development Commission, local libraries (viewing only) or online through the SWDC website
Written submissions and comments are to be sent to the Warren Blackwood Action Statement, South West Development Commission, 9th Floor Bunbury Tower, 61 Victoria Street Bunbury WA 6231.
The closing date for submissions and comments is Wednesday, January 31, 2001.
Peter Jackson (Minister Cowan’s office) 9222 9595
Hugh Ryan (Minister Omodei’s office) 9213 6700