Doug Shave

Doug Shave

-

    Construction of 18-hole golf course in Kalgoorlie to start mid next year

    16/12/1999 5:29 PM
     
    16/12/99

    Construction of a fully grassed, 18 hole golf course will begin in Kalgoorlie in the middle of next year, Lands Minister Doug Shave announced today.

    “The State Government has committed $2.2 million to the project and this is available immediately,” Mr Shave said in Kalgoorlie.

    “Subject to a feasibility study and community support, I expect that we could start work within six to seven months.

    “The proposed course will see the relocation of the Hannan’s and Kalgoorlie Golf Clubs to a site north of Piccadily Street and adjacent to the Goldfields Horse and Pony Club in Marshall Street.

    “This will allow the release of land in the north west sector of the Hannan’s course for home sites for Kalgoorlie families for the next 20 years.”

    Speaking after a meeting with community and golf club representatives, Mr Shave said a Government committee would be established and chaired by local Mining and Pastoral MLC Greg Smith.

    “I have asked the Government’s local member, Mr Smith, to progress the project in full consultation with community representatives and am very confident we will achieve our objectives,” Mr Shave said.

    The Minister said the community had been asking for a new course for many years but Native Title clearance was only given on June 28 this year.

    Since then the Government had commissioned planning consultants, conducted a three-day workshop to review the structure plan, met with stakeholders and sent out questionnaires.

    “Planning has reached the stage where structure and outline development plans have been completed and submitted to council for consideration,” Mr Shave said.

    “The Government will make sure the project fully meets community expectations.”

    Media contact: John Clune 9213 6500