Inaugural members of the Western Australian Land Information System (WALIS) Advisory Committee were announced today by Lands Minister George Cash.
The committee will comprise members representing a broad cross-section of land related interests:
The members are:
· Peter Van Gent, of the Local Government Planners Association;
· Kevin McMenemy, of the WA Farmers Federation;
· Ron Hutchinson, of the Australian Urban and Regional Information Systems Association (AURISA);
· Ed McKinnon, of Whelans;
· Bill Holman, of Spectrascan Pty Ltd;
· Robert Leighton, of Robert Leighton and Co;
· Derek Milton, of the Geography Department, University of Western Australia;
· Paul Reed, of the Association of Consulting Engineers;
· Dr Dennis Gee, of the Association of Mining and Exploration Companies; and -
· Andrew Burke, chairman, WALIS Council.
The inaugural chairman will be Mr Ron Hutchinson and the committee members are appointed for a 12-month period.
Mr Cash said the establishment of the advisory committee will pave the way for more community and private sector involvement in WALIS.
"Although there has been informal consultation with industry in the past, the establishment of the advisory committee guarantees that the concerns of industry and interested sectors of the community will be reflected in the future direction of WALIS," he said.
"The focus of the committee will be to ensure WALIS meets the land information requirements of the whole community."
WALIS is a consortium of 22 State Government agencies which co-ordinates land and geographic information, including tenure and cadastre, natural resources, geosciences, utilities and emergency services data.
Media contact: Tony Robertson 222 9595 or Carolyn Clarke 273 7561