A northern suburbs principal won a national award in Canberra this week, alongside fellow Western Australian public school principals, teachers and schools which were highly commended.
Principal Peter Holcz won the ‘Excellence by a Principal’ award as part of the Australian Government’s 2008 National Awards for Quality Schooling, for his work as foundation principal of Mindarie Senior College. The award includes a $30,000 prize for Mr Holcz and $15,000 for his school.
Congratulating Mr Holcz and the highly commended principals and teachers today, Education and Training Minister Mark McGowan said the accolades recognised the strength of WA public education.
“Quality principals, teacher and support staff members inspire their colleagues and students alike, and are an integral part of creating a successful school,” Mr McGowan said.
Currently working as Director Schools Review at the Department of Education and Training, Mr Holcz said he felt honoured his school community had nominated him.
“It’s a bit like being the coach of a premiership AFL team - is it the coach or the players who make all the difference?” Mr Holcz said.
“We set out to build something different at Mindarie Senior College, with a strong focus on staff development and an ethos of trust and respect for staff and students alike.
“It has created a school in high demand, of which the students and teachers are very proud.”
High commendations were awarded to:
· Springfield Primary School principal Gavin Power - ‘Excellence by a Principal’ category;
· Maylands Peninsula Primary School principal Steven Salamon - ‘Excellence by a Principal’ category;
· Kent Street Senior High School aviation studies teacher Kevin Bennet SC - ‘Excellence by a Teacher’ category;
· Willetton Senior High School Gifted and Talented Education science teacher Ramona Elliott - ‘Excellence by a Teacher’ category;
· Australind Senior High School business manager Maureen Bailey - ‘Excellence by a Support Staff Member’ category; and
· Boulder Primary School - ‘Excellence in School Improvement’ category.
Minister's office - 9222 9111