Housing and Works Minister Michelle Roberts today launched the $75million community housing construction program for 2008-09.
Mrs Roberts said the State Government has embarked on an significant building program to deliver more affordable housing for Western Australians through the community housing sector.
“The construction of more than 1,000 social housing units are expected to start this year, with at least 340 to be delivered through community housing partnerships,” she said.
The Minister said the State Government is investing $210million in the State Community Housing Investment Program (SCHIP) and $60million of that funding would be spent in 2008-09.
“The State Government expects the program will generate private equity contributions to the value of $15million in 2008-09,” she said.
Delivery of the State Government’s community housing program would be achieved through partnerships between the Department of Housing and Works and community housing organisations, and provide additional housing for people on the wait-list.
Mrs Roberts also announced that Southern Cross Care WA Ltd (SCCWA Ltd), a subsidiary of Southern Cross Care Inc had successfully become a registered growth provider.
“Southern Cross Care is an excellent example of an organisation that is actively helping to improve the lives of Western Australians and I commend them for their work,” she said.
A number of key projects had been identified that could be developed by Southern Cross Care in partnership with the Department of Housing and Works including:
· redeveloping the existing Southern Cross Care site in Dianella with the potential to yield up to 35 units of seniors’ accommodation;
· redeveloping the existing Southern Cross Care site in Embleton with the potential to yield up to 24 units of seniors’ accommodation; and
· the construction of additional independent living units at the existing Collie site.
The 2008-09 SCHIP also included accommodation projects being developed in partnership with Foundation Housing and Access Housing:
· the construction of 12 family units and five single’s units in Clarkson;
· the construction of 11 single’s units and a family accommodation unit in West Perth;
· the construction of six senior’s units and eight family units in Westminster;
· the construction of 14 family units on single detached lots in Ellenbrook, project managed by Foundation Housing;
· the construction of a 30 unit senior’s project in Maddington; and
· the construction of up to eight units on a site in Hamilton Hill, project managed by Access Housing.
Minister's office - 9213 6600