Heritage Minister Michelle Roberts has welcomed $100,000 from the National Trust to the Carnarvon Heritage Group to help repair the One Mile Jetty.
“This offer by the Trust brings to an end a period of uncertainty for the community and ensures the conservation of one of Carnarvon’s great heritage assets,” Mrs Roberts said.
This initial funding will enable the group to source and transport timbers for the repairs. The total cost of repair is estimated at $1.2million.
On October 27, 2007, a fire destroyed a 66m section of the jetty. It has been closed off from the land to the fire site since then.
Many locals feared the closure would devastate local businesses as tourism numbers fell.
Carnarvon Heritage Group Inc chairman Mike Maude thanked the State Government for its support and in particular, Mining and Pastoral Region MLC Vince Catania for his help.
“As chairman of the Carnarvon Heritage Group, I would like to express our thanks to Vince Catania for his tireless work on our behalf, for his encouragement and helpful advice,” Mr Maude said.
“This grant is as much a tribute to Mr Catania’s efforts as it is to the significance of this jetty to the tourist potential of our great town.”
Mr Catania said the repair of the One Mile Jetty would not only restore one of Western Australia’s heritage landmarks, but would return an important tourist asset to the Carnarvon community.
“With additional fundraising, a full repair of the jetty is expected to take 12 months,” he said.
Minister's office - 9213 6600