Michelle Roberts

Michelle Roberts

Minister for Housing and Works; Indigenous Affairs; Heritage; Land Information

    Affordable refurbished Mt Lockyer units released for sale

    7/02/2008 2:30 PM
     
    7/2/08

    The availability of affordable housing in Albany has improved, with the release of 11 newly refurbished townhouses in Mt Lockyer today.

    Constructed in 1971 of brick veneer and terracotta tile, the 11 units at 23 McKail Street, consist of seven, three-bedroom, single-storey and four, three-bedroom, double-storey townhouses.

    Housing and Works Minister Michelle Roberts said the townhouses were located approximately 3.5km north-west of the Albany CBD, and were less than one kilometre from Lockyer Primary School and local shops.

    “The units have undergone complete internal refurbishment, including new kitchens and bathrooms, plus painting and floor refinishing,” the Minister said.

    “External refurbishment including carports, painting, rendering and extensive landscaping has also been done.

    “The proposed sale prices range from $260,000 to $275,000 and meet the objectives of the Government’s affordability housing program.

    “Initially, the units will be offered to people on low incomes and public tenants under the Goodstart and First Start shared equity schemes. Any unsold units will then be offered to the general public, with first homebuyers being given preference.

    “The refurbishments form part of the Department of Housing and Works’ Albany Urban Renewal project, which was established in Mt Lockyer in 1999.”

    Urban Renewal projects involve the refurbishment of the department’s dwellings for sale and retention.

    The Minister said eligible First Start buyers could purchase 60 per cent of the homes, with the Department of Housing and Works owning the remaining 40 per cent.

    “Under the Department of Housing and Works’ $300million First Start shared equity loan scheme, the Government will assist 3,000 Western Australians into home ownership over three years,” Mrs Roberts said.

    “The scheme assists homebuyers who meet the income eligibility requirements by purchasing up to 40 per cent of the equity in a land and house package or an established home valued at up to $365,000.”

    Since the launch of First Start in February 2007, more than 508 loans have been approved and a further 346 referred for finance.

    Albany MLA Peter Watson said it was good news for low income earners in Albany who were looking to buy their first home.

    “The Albany Urban Renewal project has been a great success in transforming the standards of public housing and providing opportunities for tenants to buy their first home,” Mr Watson said.

    Those interested in eligibility for a First Start loan should contact Keystart on 1300 720 855, or visit http://www.keystart.com.au

    Minister's office: 9213 6600