Jon Ford

Jon Ford

Minister for Employment Protection; Regional Development; Fisheries; the Kimberley, Pilbara and Gascoyne

    WA Government helps with YMCA facelift

    11/09/2007 12:30 PM

    The Eastern Goldfields Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) has received a major makeover to create “Y Central”, a multipurpose room that will be used for youth activities such as “battle of the bands” and as a facility for after-school care services.

    Regional Development Minister Jon Ford today presented the Eastern Goldfields YMCA with a $41,345 cheque to assist with the final stages of the renovation.

    With the additional funds presented today, the WA Government has now provided over $406,000 towards the cost of the transformation of Y Central, which was formerly a disused pool room. Today’s cheque will fund a suitable water supply to operate a dedicated fire hydrant for protection of the YMCA building, as required by the Building Code of Australia.

    Mr Ford said the YMCA played an important role in the local community by providing a range of much-needed services including sporting, health and children’s facilities.

    “Now that this site can meet building requirements, the new Y Central room can open its doors and start providing even more services to the working families and youth of Kalgoorlie,” he said.

    The grant was provided from the Regional Headworks Program (RHP), which is part of the Carpenter Government’s $80million Regional Investment Fund. The RHP grant is in addition to $365,000 previously provided by the State Government towards the cost of the room renovations.

    “The Carpenter Government is committed to building stronger communities by investing in community infrastructure that will pay social dividends for years to come," Mr Ford said.

    “I congratulate the Kalgoorlie-Boulder community for recognising this opportunity to improve local facilities.”

    For further information, please contact the Department of Local Government and Regional Development on 9217 1500, Freecall 1800 620 511 (country callers only) or visit the website

    Minister's office - 9213 7200