- Woodland Grove Primary School officially opened
- One of five new public schools officially opening this year
- One of the first schools under a Public Private Partnership
More than 400 students have started their 2017 school year in the brand new Woodland Grove Primary School in south-west Byford.
Officially opening the school today, Education Minister Peter Collier said the school featured high-quality facilities and would have a Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics (STEAM) focus.
"Fostering the curiosity of science, and encouraging nature play, will feature in students' education and recreation," Mr Collier said.
"Foundation principal Ashley Mottershead has recruited a number of specialist teachers in music, science and physical education, and the school is resourced with state-of-the-art technologies.
"The school's nature playground will provide students with wonderful opportunities for innovative and challenging play to boost their motor skills and creativity."
Woodland Grove Primary School is one of five new public schools officially opening this year. Four have been built under a long-term Public Private Partnership arrangement with private consortium EduWest.
The school is an Independent Public School with students from kindergarten to Year 6.
- Under the WA schools Public Private Partnership, four other schools also opened this week - Alkimos Beach Primary School, Carnaby Rise Primary School (Landsdale), Baldivis Gardens Primary School and Harrisdale Senior High School (Stage 1 of Harrisdale Senior High School was constructed by the Department of Education, with management and maintenance of the school facilities, the responsibility of EduWest for up to 31 years. Stage 2 will be constructed under the Public Private Partnership)
- The Public Private Partnership is a design, build, finance and maintain model which includes facilities management services for the schools
- EduWest comprises Macquarie Capital Group, Badge Constructions, Perkins Constructions and Spotless Facility Services
- In addition, Honeywood Primary School in Wandi is opening to kindergarten and pre-primary, and will officially open to students in Years 1-6 next year
Minister's office - 6552 6300