Minister for Justice Michael Keenan and Western Australian Premier Colin Barnett today announced disaster assistance in response to flooding that affected Western Australia in January and February 2017.
Minister Keenan said the assistance is being provided through the jointly-funded Commonwealth-State Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA).
"The Australian and Western Australian governments recognise the need for effective action to help communities recover from the impacts of the recent rainfall and flooding," Mr Keenan said.
"We are saddened by the news that two men died in relation to the floods. Our thoughts are with their loved ones at this time."
Premier Barnett said there has been extensive flooding across much of the State since January and continuing into February.
"This assistance we are announcing today will provide individuals, families and communities with a much needed helping hand," Mr Barnett said.
Assistance available under the NDRRA may include:
- personal hardship and distress assistance for families and individuals to help with emergency needs such as food, clothing and accommodation
- personal and financial counselling
- financial assistance for local and state government authorities to undertake counter-disaster operations and to restore damaged public infrastructure
- interest rate subsidies for small businesses and primary producers who have been directly impacted, and
- freight subsidies for primary producers.
Seven Regional Development Australia Regions (regions) consisting of 88 local government areas (LGAs) will receive NDRRA assistance as part of this announcement.
The Australian and Western Australian governments will continue to work together to ensure that communities have access to the assistance they need.
Information on disaster assistance available for this natural disaster can be found on the Australian Government's Disaster Assist website at www.disasterassist.gov.au and the Western Australian Office of Emergency Management website at www.oem.wa.gov.au.
Premier's office - 6552 5000
Local Government areas receiving NDRRA assistance:
|Greater Geraldton||Wyndham East Kimberley||Ravensthorpe|