Minister for Justice Michael Keenan and Western Australian Emergency Services Minister Joe Francis today announced disaster assistance in response to flooding that affected the Shire of East Pilbara on 26 December 2016.
Minister Keenan said the assistance is being provided through the jointly-funded Commonwealth-State Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA).
"The Australian and Western Australian governments recognise the need for effective action to help communities recover from the effects of the recent flooding," Mr Keenan said.
Mr Francis said a significant amount of damage was caused to the road network in the region.
"This assistance will help ensure the Shire of East Pilbara has the support they need to restore damaged essential public assets," Mr Francis said.
Assistance available under the NDRRA includes:
- personal hardship and distress assistance for families and individuals to help with emergency needs such as food, clothing and accommodation
- personal and financial counselling
- financial assistance for local and state government authorities to undertake counter-disaster operations and to restore damaged public infrastructure
- interest rate subsidies for small businesses and primary producers who have been directly affected, and
- freight subsidies for primary producers.
The Kiwirrkurra Indigenous community was also affected, with a requirement for supplies of fuel, food and medicine to be airlifted in by the Hazard Management Agency.
The Australian and Western Australian governments will continue to work together to ensure that communities have access to the assistance they need.
Information on disaster assistance available for this natural disaster can be found on the Australian Government's Disaster Assist website at www.disasterassist.gov.au and the Western Australian Office of Emergency Management website at www.oem.wa.gov.au.
Emergency Services Minister's office - 6552 6500