- New 16 unit, independent-living village for older residents
- $9.2 million investment through the Goldfields-Esperance Revitalisation Fund
The Leonora community will receive a 16 unit, independent-living village for older residents thanks to a $9.2 million investment through the Goldfields-Esperance Revitalisation Fund, made possible by the Liberal National Government's Royalties for Regions.
Regional Development Minister Terry Redman said the State Government's Ageing in the Bush project report identified a need for appropriate accommodation to allow older residents to remain in their community.
"The Leonora Ageing in Place project will help the community retain residents who may otherwise be forced to move away due to a lack of appropriate accommodation," Mr Redman said.
"The independent-living village will include a communal space for residents to meet and interact as well as a multi-use meeting room, which will be used by visiting health and agency professionals and the broader community.
"The Ageing in Place project will create a village community where residents feel safe and secure in their homes, enabling them to remain in their community close to family and friends."
The Minister said investment in age-appropriate housing in regional Western Australia supported the continued development of age-friendly communities.
"This Royalties for Regions investment will bring significant social benefits to Leonora by keeping regional families together and retaining older residents to the community," he said.
"Appropriate accommodation for seniors will make a significant contribution to the Regional Development Strategy objective of building vibrant regions with strong economies.
"The Goldfields-Esperance Revitalisation Fund is helping build a social and infrastructure platform for the region's economic development to drive growth and new investment."
Construction of the independent-living village is due to commence in 2017 and is expected to be completed by mid-2019.
- The Leonora Ageing in Place project will be delivered by the Shire of Leonora
- The total cost of the project is $10.6 million, comprising $9.2 million from Royalties for Regions and $1.4 million from the Shire of Leonora
- The Goldfields-Esperance Revitalisation Fund is a $198 million Royalties for Regions initiative that invests in priority projects to enable economic and social development
- Find out more about Royalties for Regions at https://rfrmap.drd.wa.gov.au
Minister's office - 6552 6700