- Multiplex Construction Pty Ltd awarded building contract
- $207.15 million project, single biggest public hospital investment in regional WA
- More than $16 million in contracts to Karratha and Port Hedland contractors
The new Karratha Health Campus has today entered an exciting phase with the main building contract awarded to Multiplex Construction Pty Ltd, after completion of design and early works.
Health Minister John Day said the state-of-the-art project would take Pilbara health care to a new level, while providing a much-needed boost for local employment.
"The Karratha Health Campus will have a significantly expanded emergency department designed to manage disaster recovery, plus a new surgical centre, maternity wing and delivery suites, and a CT scanner," Mr Day said.
"Another first for Karratha will be the construction of a new helipad on the campus grounds. The project will enhance the city centre and put money into the local economy, especially during construction.
"Peak activity will see up to 150 people working on-site, with up to 1,300 jobs supported over the life of the building project."
The Karratha Health Campus has been made possible with a $206.5 million investment by the Liberal National Government's Royalties for Regions through the Pilbara Cities initiative and $650,000 from the resources sector through the Pilbara Health Initiative.
Regional Development Minister Terry Redman said 67 people were already working on-site, including 48 locals.
"More than $80 million of subcontracts have been awarded to date. All have been allocated to WA companies and more than $16 million of these subcontracts have been awarded to businesses based in Karratha and Port Hedland," Mr Redman said.
"The new campus will replace the ageing Nickol Bay Hospital and increase bed numbers from the 28 at Nickol Bay, to 40 at the new campus.
"World-class telehealth services will also link local medical staff and patients to WA's leading emergency and specialist practitioners, and support at other hospitals.
"Staff and community stakeholder consultation helped guide the clinical service planning and contributed to the final design."
- The Karratha Health Campus is on schedule for completion in mid-2018
- The design contract (Stage 1) was awarded to Multiplex in July 2015
- The construction contract (Stage 2) was awarded after a rigorous selection process
- The Karratha city centre location promises improved community access to the health campus and ongoing benefits for local businesses
- Accommodation for locum and agency staff is located close to the new hospital
- Find out more about Royalties for Regions at https://rfrmap.drd.wa.gov.au
Health Minister's office - 6552 6200
Regional Development Minister's office - 6552 6700