- Planning Minister approval paves way for Shenton Park development
- Increased protection of bushland a key consideration
- Improvement scheme simplifies planning process to deliver infill development
Redevelopment of the former Shenton Park Rehabilitation Hospital site is gaining momentum with Planning Minister Donna Faragher approving the improvement scheme.
Mrs Faragher said the improvement scheme would help turn the site into an inner-city community with more than 1,100 homes, new jobs, retail and public spaces.
"The redevelopment of this distinctive site is important to the future growth of Perth and Peel, as it will provide a mix of housing options for all life stages, close to existing public transport and the city," she said.
"It is a great example of how this Government's planning reform agenda has helped to simplify the planning system to ensure positive outcomes that meet community needs.
"The use of an improvement scheme, introduced in 2010 as part of Planning Reform phase one, has ensured this key infill site is development ready as soon as possible."
The Minister said the scheme had been approved with a number of modifications that would ensure the protection and rehabilitation of more vegetation within the site area.
"The majority of feedback received during public consultation was around the protection of bushland, and this has been taken very seriously," she said.
"A larger area of bushland in the Woodland Precinct on the western side will be retained and rehabilitated, so it becomes an environmental asset for the residents and surrounding community. More than a quarter of the site will be public open space including bushland, walking trails, a nature-play area, urban orchard and outdoor space.
"This demonstrates how we can balance the needs of our growing State and the environment."
- LandCorp will develop the site
- The improvement scheme will become the governing document for the planning and development of the site
- The improvement scheme and scheme map will be published in the Government Gazette and made available on the Planning WA website in the near future
- Forward works are expected to commence in the coming months
- For more information, visit http://www.planning.wa.gov.au or http://www.landcorp.com.au/MontarioQuarter
Minister's office - 6552 5300
Shenton Park Hospital Site Scheme Map.pdf