- $2.6m for additional traffic patrols and booze and drug bus operations
- Operation Metaphor is being conducted within 250 kilometres of Perth, where about 70 per cent of this year's fatal regional crashes have occurred
- Double demerit penalties start at midnight tonight for the Christmas holiday period
WA Police will conduct a summer traffic blitz along notorious stretches of road after the Liberal National Government committed an additional $2.6 million from the Road Trauma Trust Account.
Deputy Premier, Police and Road Safety Minister Liza Harvey said the money would fund overtime for additional Traffic Enforcement Group, booze and drug bus and regional police traffic operations.
"Operation Metaphor will be conducted within 250 kilometres of Perth, where about 70 per cent of the fatal regional crashes have occurred so far this year," Ms Harvey said.
"The operation will be targeting those offences we know are behind serious and fatal crashes including drink and drug driving, speeding, not wearing seatbelts and using mobile phones while behind the wheel."
The Deputy Premier said it was anticipated Operation Metaphor would have a positive influence on regional road user behaviour with a heightened police visibility and increased enforcement of the offences killing people on Western Australian roads.
"Operation Metaphor has been operating since late November but will ramp up as we head into one of the busiest time on Western Australian roads over the Christmas holiday break," she said.
Operation Metaphor will be supported by the double demerit penalties which kick in for the holiday period at midnight tonight until midnight January 8, 2017.
Ms Harvey said this summer period, WA Police would have access to a range of new Liberal National Government road safety initiatives including alcohol interlocks for serious and repeat drink drivers and increased careless driving penalties when a person is injured or killed.
- Operation Metaphor is funded through the Road Trauma Trust Account which is made up of red light and speed camera fines
- Double demerits run from December 23, 2016 to January 8, 2017, inclusive
- The Liberal National Government allocated a record $157m from the RTTA in 2016-17
Deputy Premier and Police and Road Safety Minister's office - 6552 5900