- Stage 2 of Narrogin Link Road now complete
- Staged construction generated about 15 jobs
- Stage 3 to start in January 2017
The southern section of the Narrogin Link Road project is now open to road users, marking the next major step towards the project's overall completion.
Transport Minister Bill Marmion said Stage 2 was about connecting a safe and important access route for road users, particularly heavy vehicle operators.
"The completion of these latest works, in conjunction with those finished in Stage 1, form part of the Liberal National Government's commitment to delivering a safer road environment and enriching the amenity of the town centre," Mr Marmion said.
"Furthermore, road train access is now permitted and transport operators will experience improved efficiencies on their journeys.
"This stage of the project also generated about 15 jobs and more jobs will be created as the project progresses to the next stage."
Narrogin Link Road involves the construction of a four-kilometre road, directly linking the Narrogin town site to Great Southern Highway at its north and south points.
The southern section (Stage 2), commences at the junction of Pioneer Drive (Stage 1) and Herald Street, proceeding south for 1.1 kilometres to reconnect with Great Southern Highway.
The alignment for Stage 3, the northern section, is now finalised and will connect at its southern end to the existing Pioneer Drive, just north of the Kipling Street roundabout. The new road will be about 1.5 kilometres long and is envisaged to be completed by June 2017.
The Minister said completion of the link road would enable heavy vehicle operators to negotiate the Narrogin town centre with less complexity and eliminate difficult vehicle manoeuvres.
"This will provide enormous efficiency benefits to farmers and transport operators carting grain, hay, livestock and general produce, and improve safety for families and other road users in the Narrogin community," he said.
- On average 1,418 vehicles pass through the Great Southern Highway/Graham Road intersection (23 per cent heavy vehicles)
- Completed project to remove heavy through-traffic from Narrogin's CBD
- Southern section of Narrogin Link Road constructed by Main Roads WA and the Shire of Narrogin, utilising a combination of their own workforces and local contractors
Minister's office - 6552 6800