- Visitors invited to discover the State's rich maritime history aboard the Duyfken
- Perth's first Royal Croquet Club joins summer program at Elizabeth Quay
Elizabeth Quay has a summer schedule full of family-friendly attractions, activities and events with one of the major highlights being the visiting Duyfken, which will be open for tours until April 2017, Planning Minister Donna Faragher said today.
"I'm thrilled to see the Duyfken at Elizabeth Quay after its recent two-week voyage from Shark Bay, where it was a key part of the 400th anniversary celebrations of Dirk Hartog's landing at Cape Inscription," Mrs Faragher said.
"Since the ship's launch in 1999, the Duyfken has educated more than a million people around the world on the shared history of Australia, Indonesia and the Netherlands."
The Minister said she encouraged members of the public to take advantage of the opportunity to go on board the Duyfken to discover the challenges experienced by the early Dutch sailors, and learn about Western Australia's early maritime history.
Other events and activities scheduled at Elizabeth Quay over the summer include an open-air mini golf course, traditional carousel, Christmas markets and an array of exciting shows and events.
Mrs Faragher said the Perth International Arts Festival's Chevron Festival Gardens would return and, for the first time, the quay would welcome Adventure Mini Golf and Perth's inaugural Royal Croquet Club as part of FRINGE World Festival.
"The Royal Croquet Club enjoys enormous success in the Eastern States and this wonderful mix of live music, cabaret, circus and comedy, featuring local, interstate and overseas artists, is now coming to Perth," she said.
Elizabeth Quay is now well established as one of the State's must-see tourist and event destinations, recently hosting Arcadia Spectacular which attracted more than 40,000 people in just five days.
A number of Christmas activities will also run throughout December 2016 including the Light for Lifeline Christmas Tree, the Perth Makers Market and the community Befriend Long-Rug Lunch.
- In 2015, Lotterywest granted $480,200 towards the refurbishment of the Duyfken
- The State Government provides annual funding of $285,000 for the operation and maintenance of the Duyfken. Tours will be run from Wednesday to Sunday from 1-5pm. Tickets are $12.50 for adults, $5 for children
- Royal Croquet Club will run from January 20, 2017 to February 12, 2017
- Adventure Mini Golf will run seven days a week 10am to 10pm from early December 2016
- For more information on all the events at Elizabeth Quay, visit http://www.elizabethquay.com.au
Minister's office - 6552 5300