- Sam Walsh AO to lead Art Gallery of WA board from January 1, 2017
- Outgoing chairman Hon Nicholas Hasluck AM QC thanked for dedication
Respected businessman, philanthropist and supporter of the arts Sam Walsh AO will succeed the Hon Nicholas Hasluck AM QC as chairman of the Art Gallery of Western Australia board.
Culture and the Arts Minister John Day said Mr Walsh's expertise was in high demand, and the three-year appointment was a coup for the gallery.
"Sam Walsh has already played an important and long standing role in supporting and promoting arts and culture in WA during his time as chief executive officer of Rio Tinto," Mr Day said.
"I am pleased he will now share his renowned leadership and experience with the State's premier visual arts institution."
The Minister thanked outgoing chairman Mr Hasluck for his commitment to the Art Gallery, especially in the areas of governance and the formalisation of a wide range of policies.
"Nicholas has been a steady hand and has applied his exceptionally clear thinking to the gallery's direction and focus," he said.
"I have enjoyed working with him, and wish him well in his next endeavours.
"The Art Gallery of WA has a skilled and capable board, which I am confident will apply its considerable expertise to this wonderful and important Western Australian institution."
Mr Walsh will take over as chairman of the board of the Art Gallery of WA from January 1, 2017.
- Mr Walsh was CEO of Rio Tinto from 2013-16 and has served as a director of Rio Tinto, Seven West Media, the Committee for Perth, and the WA and Australian Chambers of Commerce and Industry
- He currently sits on the board of the Australia Council and was inaugural chairman of the Chamber of Arts and Culture WA
- For more information, visit http://www.artgallery.wa.gov.au/
Culture and the Arts Minister's office - 6552 6200