$809,000 in Healthway sponsorships support arts and promote healthy lifestyles
Support for big and small arts organisations for State-wide and local arts
Research backs positive arts and health link
A total of 18 arts and community organisations in Perth and across regional Western Australia will share in $809,000 from Healthway sponsorships to promote healthy lifestyles.
Health and Culture and the Arts Minister John Day said the new funding supported a wide range of activities run by arts and community organisations.
"We know from research by Dr Christina Davies at The University of Western Australia, that people involved with the arts for two or more hours per week are much more likely to have better mental health than those who don't engage in artistic activities," Mr Day said.
"The funding will benefit the arts and health as well as promote healthy living messages, and will help nurture a new generation of artistic talent. Many of the new activities focus on young people who may not normally have an opportunity to be involved in the arts."
Big arts organisations to receive new funding include:
- West Australian Symphony Orchestra - $70,000 to promote the Act-Belong-Commit message through engagement, particularly with children and young people; interaction with professional musicians at schools and in the community; learning new musical skills; and experiencing classical music programs across the State
- West Australian Ballet - $70,000 for a Ballet Access Program that will bring to life the Act-Belong-Commit message through education and training in dance for children and young people; and encouraging new exposure to ballet in the community through low-cost or free performances
- Art Gallery of Western Australia - $85,000 to promote the Act-Belong-Commit message to children and young people as part of three major exhibitions in 2017.
The Minister said the Act-Belong-Commit message, which would be promoted through the majority of the new community and arts activities funded, had proven highly successful.
"Research shows three quarters of West Australians are aware of Act-Belong-Commit and one in 10 of those have taken action to improve their mental health as a result of seeing the campaign message," he said.
In 2015-16, Healthway sponsored community organisations to conduct 80 events and activities worth more than $1.8 million to promote the Act-Belong-Commit message in WA, as well as providing more than $600,000 in grant funding to support the Act-Belong-Commit campaign run by Mentally Healthy WA
Minister's office - 6552 6200
Healthway funding has been approved for:
- Mandurah Performing Arts Inc - $90,000 promoting Act-Belong-Commit through the Get in the Swim Public Program 2017
- Art Gallery of Western Australia - $85,000 promoting Act-Belong-Commit through an Exhibition Program 2017
- City of Swan - $80,000 promoting Drug Aware through Hyperfest and Hyperfest Miniseries 2017-2018
- Contemporary Dance Company of Western Australia Ltd - $80,000 promoting Act-Belong-Commit through Co3 Youth, Education and Engagement Programs
- Barking Gecko Theatre Company - $80,000 promoting Act-Belong-Commit through BGTC Community Program 2017
- West Australian Symphony Orchestra - $70,000 promoting Act-Belong-Commit through the WASO Community Outreach Program 2017
- West Australian Ballet - $70,000 promoting Act-Belong-Commit through West Australian Ballet Access Program 2017
- WA Youth Theatre Company - $55,000 promoting Act-Belong-Commit through WA Youth Theatre Company Training Program and Major Production 2017-2018
- Australian Dance Council WA Branch (Ausdance) Inc - $50,000 promoting Act-Belong-Commit through the Dance 100 Program 2017
- City of Gosnells - $50,000 promoting Act-Belong-Commit through Community Arts Events Season 2017
- Ellenbrook Cultural Foundation Incorporated - $27,000 promoting Act-Belong-Commit through the Ellenbrook Arts Community Program 2017
- Undalup Association Inc Busselton - $25,000 promoting Act-Belong-Commit through the Undalup Birak Festival 2017
- City of Joondalup - $10,000 promoting Make Smoking History through Music in the Park 2017
- Mosman Park Arts Foundation - $10,000 promoting Act-Belong-Commit through Street Arts Youth Project 2017
- Te Haupai Maori and Pacific Island Trust Assoc. Inc. - $10,000 promoting Make Smoking History through Perth Waitangi Day 2017
- Vietnamese Community in Australia WA Chapter - $10,000 for Tet New Year 2017 promoting Make Smoking History
- Bunbury Regional Theatre Inc - $4,000 promoting Act-Belong-Commit through Bunbury Summer Film Festival
- Shire of Dandaragan - $3,000 promoting Drug Aware through the Spray the Grey Youth Festival 2017