- Land in Kenwick and Wattle Grove freed up for industrial development
- Industrial centre close to Perth Airport and major freight access routes
- Potential to bring more jobs to the area to service growing population
More than 390 hectares of employment-generating land has been rezoned in the Kenwick and Wattle Grove areas.
Planning Minister Donna Faragher said three amendments to the Metropolitan Region Scheme had been approved to rezone the land from rural to industrial.
"The amendments complete the industrial zoning of the Maddington-Kenwick Strategic Employment area, which is bound by Tonkin Highway, Bickley Road, Roe Highway and Welshpool Road East," Mrs Faragher said.
"This area is an important industrial centre as it is close to Perth Airport and to numerous major freight access routes, including to Fremantle and Kwinana.
"The City of Gosnells has a population of more than 112,000 people and this is expected to grow by nearly 70,000 by 2050. This industrial centre will ensure more jobs are created in the region to service this growing population.
"Its proximity to a number of residential areas will also provide more employment options within a reasonable distance from homes, so people are not having to travel far to get to work."
The City of Gosnells has undertaken various planning studies to determine the suitability of the area for industrial development over a number of years. An indicative local structure plan has also been prepared based on feedback from landowners, technical studies and stakeholder engagement.
The Minister said the types of businesses likely to be attracted to the area in the near future would be in keeping with existing industrial enterprises.
The nearby Greater Brixton Street Wetlands will be retained. Further detailed planning will be undertaken by the local government, including a scheme amendment and detailed structure planning. This will include further public consultation.
- The amendments cross the City of Gosnells and Shire of Kalamunda and were subject to extensive public consultation from November 2015 to January 2016
- The amendments align with the draft Perth and Peel@3.5million planning frameworks
- For more information, visit http://www.planning.wa.gov.au
Planning Minister's office - 6552 5300