- Liberal National Government to take on lead role in Ocean Reef Marina project
- Redevelopment will transform coastal land into significant waterfront facility
The long-awaited Ocean Reef Marina project has moved one step closer with the Liberal National Government today announcing it will take over the lead role for the waterfront precinct.
Lands Minister Terry Redman said the State Government, through LandCorp, would work with the City of Joondalup to help deliver a precinct incorporating commercial, retail, residential and marine facilities.
"The Government taking on this role will provide the required momentum to this long-awaited project and assist the City of Joondalup in bringing its goal of developing a marina to fruition," Mr Redman said.
"Ocean Reef Marina represents a rare opportunity for coastal land to be developed into a significant facility that encompasses high levels of environmental, economic and social sustainability."
The proposed marina precinct will feature public open spaces, boardwalks, tourist accommodation and a range of retail, commercial and food and beverage outlets to stimulate tourism and job opportunities.
The project will deliver about 600 boat pens, as well as ramps and stackers to help address a shortage of boating infrastructure in the Perth metropolitan area.
"It is also envisaged the development will provide a range of accommodation options and deliver about 1,000 residences, bringing a greater diversity of housing choices and density not previously seen in the area," the Minister said.
The State Government and the City of Joondalup will soon sign a Memorandum of Understanding to formalise the partnership.
- The first proposal for the marina was made more than 30 years ago
- The 2016-17 State Budget committed $500,000 towards securing planning and environmental approvals and finalising the business case for the marina proposal
- Public consultation on the project will take place as part of the environmental and planning approval process
- LandCorp will be the lead proponent of the Ocean Reef Marina redevelopment project and will deliver a detailed business case for consideration by the end of 2016
Minister's office - 6552 6700