- First time public ballot to be held for moorings in Swan Canning Riverpark
- Strong interest expected for 40 sites in existing approved mooring zones
For the first time a public ballot will be held for 40 unallocated boat moorings in the Swan Canning Riverpark.
Transport Minister Dean Nalder said a ballot was a fair and equitable method of allocating the sought after sites identified in a recent audit of existing, approved mooring zones throughout the riverpark.
"These unallocated mooring sites are among about 1,100 moorings located within the riverpark that are licensed by the Department of Transport," Mr Nalder said.
"Public demand for moorings in the riverpark is always extremely high and strong interest is expected from members of the boating community wanting to apply and secure one of these prized sites.
"The protected waters of the riverpark, combined with the low cost and the convenience of a mooring for storage of boats all contribute to the appeal of these sites."
As the administrator of moorings in the riverpark, the Department of Transport has engaged the Western Australian Electoral Commission to offer by ballot, licences for the available moorings.
The Minister said the unallocated moorings were located throughout the riverpark and varied in size from a minimum of five metres to a maximum of 14m. When entering the ballot, people could preference the mooring location relevant to the size of their boat.
Successful ballot applicants will be formally invited to apply for the mooring allocated in the ballot.
People who are unsuccessful in the ballot can access 43 public courtesy moorings located throughout the riverpark free of charge for up to four hours during the day or for overnight stays. Public courtesy moorings were first introduced in 2007.
Mr Nalder said the ballot was not linked to an ongoing, comprehensive review of mooring regulations in WA, which had included extensive community consultation. The outcome of the review would be announced shortly.
- Ballot closes at 4pm on Friday, August 26, 2016
- The Department of Transport administers moorings in the riverpark in line with the Mooring Regulations 1998 and the Swan Canning Riverpark Mooring Management Program endorsed by the Department of Parks and Wildlife
- For more information, visit http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mooringsballot or contact the department on 9431 1001
Minister's office - 6552 6400