Four new public schools opening their doors for the first time
No teacher vacancies across the State
KindiLink, for three-year-old Aboriginal children, starts today
Close to half a million children from kindergarten to Year 12 are back in the classroom today for the start of the 2016 school year.
Education Minister Peter Collier welcomed students to Rivervale Primary School, including three-year-old Aboriginal children, which is part of the new KindiLink program.
"KindiLink is running at 37 schools, and focuses on developing the social, emotional, language and cognitive capabilities of Aboriginal children," Mr Collier said.
"Engaging families and their children in learning programs before they start formal schooling contributes to better educational, social and economic outcomes."
There is a record number of students in public schools this year - an estimated 297,000.
The State Government is also distributing the largest-ever amount of funding to public schools this year - $4.798 billion in 2015-16 and $4.866 billion in 2016-17.
The new public schools open for the first time today are:
- Alkimos Primary School ($14 million)
- Anne Hamersley Primary School in Ellenbrook ($15.8 million)
- Rivergums Primary School in Baldivis ($18.8 million)
- Harrisdale Primary School ($15.2 million).
"It's going to be sensational year, with early intervention strategies like KindiLink, new engagement centres for at-risk students, and 21 Child and Parent Centres across the State," the Minister said.
WA schools receive the highest per student funding of any State
Across the board, WA teachers are the highest paid of any State
The education budget is forecast to increase to $5.3 billion by 2018-19
Minister's office - 6552 6300
- Perth: Bentley Primary School, Brookman Primary School, Challis Community Primary School, Dudley Park Primary School, Gwynne Park Primary School, Hilton Primary School, Lockridge Primary School, Medina Primary School, Moorditj Noongar Community College, Rivervale Primary School and Westminster Junior Primary School
- Kimberley: Broome Primary School, Cable Beach Primary School, Derby District High School, Fitzroy Valley District High School, Halls Creek District High School, Kalumburu Remote Community School, Kununurra District High School and La Grange Remote Community School
- Pilbara: Roebourne District High School, South Hedland Primary School, South Newman Primary School and Wickham Primary School
- Mid-West: Beachlands Primary School, Carnarvon Community College and Meekatharra District High School
- Goldfields: Boulder Primary School, East Kalgoorlie Primary School, Leonora District High School, Nulsen Primary School and Wiluna Remote Community School
- Wheatbelt: Avonvale Primary School, Katanning Primary School, Narrogin Primary School and West Northam Primary School
- South-West: Amaroo Primary School and Djidi Djidi Aboriginal School