- Lotterywest grant of $63,236 presented to support Mission Australia's Christmas Lunch in the Park
- The State Government also makes $20,000 annual donation towards Mission Australia's Christmas appeal
Mission Australia will host the 40th Christmas Lunch in the Park tomorrow, with the support of a $63,236 Lotterywest grant and a $20,000 donation from the State Government announced by Community Services Minister Tony Simpson.
Mr Simpson said the Mission Australia Christmas Lunch in the Park encouraged individuals and families experiencing financial hardship to come together for a special community event.
"Christmas can be an isolating time of the year for some people. This event brings people together to enjoy a meal, see some great entertainment and feel connected to their community," he said.
It is estimated that 2,500 people from the Perth community will gather at Wellington Square for the lunch.
The Minister congratulated Mission Australia on 40 years of lunches, organised and prepared with generous support from the community including through donations, sponsorship, fundraising and volunteering.
Mr Simpson said the Lotterywest grant would assist with equipment hire costs including for the marquees and sound equipment.
"For 40 years, Mission Australia has given people a great event to come to on Christmas Day. The efforts from across the community, local businesses and the volunteers are truly heart-warming to see," he said.
The Minister will help serve lunch at tomorrow's Mission Australia Christmas Lunch in the Park, along with his wife and two daughters.
- Mission Australia offers services to reduce homelessness and strengthen communities. For more information, visit http://www.missionaustralia.com.au
- Since 1991, Lotterywest has provided over $3.2 million to support Mission Australia
- Western Australia is the only State where the money raised from lottery products is distributed directly back to the community to support not-for-profit organisations working to enrich WA communities
- For more about Lotterywest grants, visit http://www.lotterywest.wa.gov.au/grants
Minister's office - 6552 6600