- Bassendean Oval and northern portion of town centre to be redeveloped
- Public invited to comment on redevelopment area
- Joint project between State Government, Town of Bassendean and Swan Districts Football Club
Bassendean is set to undergo a makeover with the proposed redevelopment of about 11 hectares of land into a mix of new residential dwellings and community facilities.
Planning Minister John Day said an extensive community consultation program to help shape the future redevelopment would start today.
"Two key sites have been selected within the redevelopment area - the land around Bassendean Oval and a parcel of land to the north of the town centre," Mr Day said.
"Both sites are within walking distance of the Bassendean and Success Hill train stations, town centre and Swan River foreshore which makes them well suited to accommodate a variety of housing options, retail, commercial and community facilities.
"It is envisaged that Bassendean Oval could be opened up to the community for public open space while also remaining as an active sporting facility managed by the Swan Districts Football Club. Any plans will help ensure the ongoing financial sustainability of the club.
"We would now like to hear from the community about what they would like to see in Bassendean, with all feedback to inform the planning and future use of the sites."
The proposed redevelopment aligns with the State Government's Activity Centre policy and will contribute to the delivery of appropriate density along major transport corridors and infrastructure.
Lands Minister Terry Redman said this proposal represented an excellent opportunity to further enhance and revitalise the Bassendean town centre.
"LandCorp has a successful track record in redeveloping activity centres including the Cockburn town centre, Springs Rivervale and Claremont on the Park," Mr Redman said.
"This redevelopment will be no different with the intention to engage the private sector where possible to achieve project outcomes."
A stakeholder reference group involving LandCorp; the Town of Bassendean; the departments of Sport and Recreation, Lands and Planning; the WA Football Commission; and the Swan Districts Football Club will assist in guiding the redevelopment.
- The online survey opens today until December 18, 2015
- Further community engagement will be undertaken before concept plans are developed in early 2016
- Site two covers land within the northern portion of the Bassendean town centre and includes a public car park and a section of recreation reserve including the tennis club
- A Development Agreement between LandCorp, Town of Bassendean and Swan Districts Football Club to pursue major redevelopment of Bassendean Oval and land in the Bassendean town centre was executed in August 2015
- For more information, visit http://www.landcorp.com.au/bassendean
Planning Minister's office - 6552 6200