- WA citrus producers gain access to export markets of China, Thailand and South Korea
- Export markets provide a new source of income and market diversity for growers
For the first time, Western Australian citrus producers have started exporting their fruit to the valuable market of China, marking an exciting development for the State's $15 million industry.
Agriculture and Food Minister Ken Baston said the export milestone resulted from market work undertaken by the State Government, Horticulture WA and the local citrus industry.
As well as China, Western Australian producers have also successfully gained market access to Thailand and South Korea, by meeting the stringent protocol that requires specific orchard management practices and cold treatment of fruit transported by sea to the markets.
"Western Australian citrus fruit is well known for its delicious taste and widely recognised as a clean and green product," Mr Baston said.
"So far this year, citrus growers Moora Citrus and AGRIFresh have exported more than 30,000 boxes of navel oranges and a small quantity of mandarins to China and South-East Asia.
"Having established these export markets, the producers expect to increase the volume of fruit exported over the next few years as significant new plantings come into full production.
"Export markets are vital in ensuring the continued viability and profitability of the State's citrus orchards.
"Building on the success of these trailblazing growers, the Government is working with other Western Australian citrus growers interested in exporting their fruit.
"The work included a recent delegation of producers on visits to markets in China to meet buyers, identify any issues in the current supply of citrus, discuss market opportunities and learn more about export protocols."
- WA produces more than 15,000 tonnes of citrus each year, worth $15 million
- Most of the State's oranges, mandarins and lemons are produced within a 250km radius of Perth, while most red-fleshed grapefruit and limes come from the Gascoyne and Ord River irrigation areas
- Citrus is one of Australia's largest horticultural exports, at 130,000 tonnes annually
- The Government has helped WA citrus producers to identify market opportunities and provided support in meeting market access protocols
Minister's office - 6552 5400